Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:08 PM   #1
Super Moderator

All these shots taken with the Canon 20D & 70-300mm DO IS USM lens.

This lens really shone today, I kept in on my camera the whole day hanging around my neck and the low weight and compactness was just brilliant.

The IS was truly excellent as you can see from the EXIF data on these shots.

I was shooting JPG today, because I've still not got around to getting an extra CF card and I figured 1Gb wasn't going to be enough if I was shooting RAW. I've done a few minor tweaks on these shots in PS, mostly levels and sharpening.

Here's a selection of some of the better ones; all are available at higher resolution upon request.

#1 - These otters were playing with stones and yawning fearsomely.

#2 - This guy looked like a punk owl with a spikey haicut.

#3 - These are some pretty fearsome pigs with outrageous facial hair.

#4 - I love sloths; most animals that can sleep in trees always look precarious, but this chap really relaxed into the whole thing.

#5 - I hate to see Gorillas in captivity, but the civil wars in Central Africa make me think of them more as refugees than animals. I wouldn't put them on show if it was up to me.

#6 - If you get up close to the mesh of the cages and the birds are a few meters away you can almost get the mesh to disappear. This toucan was pretty cool.

#7 - They have a new squirrel monkey enclosure where the animals aren't behind bars and you can see them up close. Lots of zoo-keepers make sure no-one from either team gets hurt. [Edit: My wife has just pointed out that she took this photo.]

#8 - I love reptiles, goes back to being a lad wandering in the veld looking for snakes and lizards.

#9 - A portrait of a tamarind monkey. I was quite pleased with this one.

#10 - My own little monkey - they said I could take this one home with me, so I did.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

These are ALL beautiful shots, especially the last monkey. However, #7 looks like someone I used to date!:lol:
Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:27 PM   #3

Great shooting, Peri, the DO is serving you well. My favorites are 2, 3, 7 and 9but they all have something to offer. I know which one is your favorite, and I don't blame you for choosing it. Congrats on a good zoo run.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

Hi Paripatetic,

I really enjoyed your images. I also have the EOS 20D camerawith a 1GBmedia card. The other day I had to switch to JPG whilephotographing horses. Amazing how fast 100 pics can be shot! I am buying a 2GB next week!

The lighting on the 9th is quite dramatic. Did you use fill flash, or was this all natural light. Wow! Great catch! And of course the 10th is great too. :-)

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:19 AM   #5

Lovely shots, all of them, but my wife and I had a good laugh a the bedraggled owl.

Keep up the good work.

roncur
roncur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

ThomasATC wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paripatetic,

The lighting on the 9th is quite dramatic. Did you use fill flash, or was this all natural light. Wow! Great catch! And of course the 10th is great too. :-)

Thomas.
Thanks All, we had a lovely day.

Thomas, all the lighting was "available light" though not all "natural" if you see my meaning. The lizard was under lights. All the rest posted in this series were natural, but a lot of the monkeys prefer dim light so the tamarind was lit by a small skylight in his enclosure. It was pretty dark in there.

The EXIF for that shot was ISO3200, f5.6, 1/50s @ 300mm (*1.6 = 480mm) !!!

I can usually hand-hold with decent results at 1 stop better than the 1/focal length rule-of-thumb, but the Image Stabliser on that DO lens is absolutely awesome.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote