Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:52 AM   #11

Stunning photos and they are OH so cute:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:24 PM   #12

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
Cool shots Norm. The shots of these guys poking out of the hole in the tree
are just plain cool. The flight shots in and out are great as well. What was the
shutter speed on them?
Thanks wm, the shutter varied as I used a number of different lenses for this. I even used the 135/2 in order to take advantage of the open aperture to get a good fast shutter (around 1/4000th or faster)without going berserk on the ISO. I found that I had to get slightly closer and crop a bit more in the final work but it was well worth it as the lens is extremely sharp and the shutter speeds could be attained. I also had success with the 70-200 zoom on some of these flight shots. Sorry, I can't say exactly which one is which but I can say that both lenses worked well in gaining shutter speed because of their inherent fastness. I actually didn't use the 400/5.6 much with these, primarily for the face closeups to get a good shot of the sawdust chips.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:25 PM   #13

Thanks Julie, they are indeed cute, and these ones especially as they were real runts, tiny even for chickadees.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:46 PM   #14

fantastic. While the flight shots are cool, I have to say the first is my favorite - I just like the composition of it the best. Keep 'em coming - pictures like this give the rest of us something to strive for.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:39 AM   #15

Thanks John, I appreciate the compliment and the little chickadees thank you too.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:49 PM   #16

These are really nice. My favorite is 6 even though it is a tad over exposed.

The action in that shot really makes it. You can see the stray specs of dust flying through the air. You get such sharp focus on this fast moving little bird.

You are the Chickadee master. I follow them around and never seem to get a decent shot. Well done!!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:39 AM   #17

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
These are really nice. My favorite is 6 even though it is a tad over exposed.

The action in that shot really makes it. You can see the stray specs of dust flying through the air. You get such sharp focus on this fast moving little bird.

You are the Chickadee master. I follow them around and never seem to get a decent shot. Well done!!
Thanks zoomn, it was tough to get proper exposure on these because the light was harsh and my focus was on the flying rather than keeping the whites from burning out. Unfortunately one needs to make compromises in situations like this. How's that for a good contrivedexcuse, huh. :G