Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:57 PM   #1

On the way home from work yesterday after stopping to shoot the Wood Stork again I drove on a little further and spotted two Egrets. I stopped and started walking slowly back but they took flight as seen in these first ones.

1. Leaving the scene - ISO 400, 1/500, F5.6 and exp comp of - 2/3step. Resized down is all thats done.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

2. ISO 400, 1/500, F5.6 and exp comp - 2/3 step. Just resised down.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3

And then they turned and came back............

3. ISO 400, 1/640, F5.6 and exp comp - 2/3 step. I was able to crop this one a little without loosing too much, resized down, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:14 PM   #4

4. ISO 400, 1/500, F5.6 and exp comp - 2/3 step. Resized down only.
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:21 PM   #5

5. Touching down. - ISO 400, 1/125, F7.1 on this one and exp comp of - 2/3 step. Resized down and FM is all.
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:26 PM   #6
DBB

Hi Houston

Last ones the best IMO. If it's of any value, I normally shoot at ISO 500, F10 (it's fixed, I use a scope) and a speed of 400. This produces nice results. When shoooting Egrets, I simply jack up the speed to 640, or even 800. Anything less and it's blown.

Since I shoot manual, I don't have to disable anything...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:43 PM   #7

Wow, those are big trees. I like the third one very much, Houston, and think the crop is well thought out. The others I think need a touch of cropping just to get them slightly closer, not much, but some, as I think that there is just too much negative or redundant space in some of these. I think that lots of landscape in a work is excellent if the landscape is offering something unique, different, colorful, or part of a wildlife habitat (not sure the fence is necessary in number 1 :-)). I hope you take this critiquein the way that it was intended.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:50 AM   #8

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
I hope you take this critiquein the way that it was intended.
Thanks Norm and you are doing just what I wont you to do. Tell me what you think as I am really very interested and trying hard to get better at this. I don't have to get all the praise when something is good (maybe a little) but the critique from you and others is very much appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:39 AM   #9

Houston, one more suggestion. What focus points you were using for these shots (except the last one)? And what about metering unless you were in manual mode? In auto focus point selection, it is very hard to get good flight shots. I always use center point and it means your subjects going to in center of the frame (you can crop later to make it off center). Also you need to dial in more -ve EV for white birds.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:47 PM   #10

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Houston, one more suggestion. What focus points you were using for these shots (except the last one)? And what about metering unless you were in manual mode? In auto focus point selection, it is very hard to get good flight shots. I always use center point and it means your subjects going to in center of the frame (you can crop later to make it off center). Also you need to dial in more -ve EV for white birds.
Bobby, I use center point all the time and hardly ever have all the points activated. Also on all of these shots I had only -2/3 step EV and the reason I didn't dial in more minus EV is that it darkens the background too much and I don't know how to work with layers yet so that I can use Normcars tip on that. And another thing is, I can't keep the dot on the bird in flight. I do good to get him in the frame some of the time. This is really puzzleing me. I guess I just need lots more practice.