Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1

Today, I took off a little early and went to the local lake in town to try to find something different and also to practice on the white ducks. After shooting about 150 shots I moved on around to where there is a little island only about 100 ft in diameter but very heavily vegetated and only a little ways off shore. Not long after getting there this bird flew into the island from behind me and landed. I got a few shots and then it disappeared into the thick brush and trees and I never did see it again. Well here they are and I hope someone will tell me what it is.

All taken with the DRebel and100-400L using Partial Metering on all of them.

1. ISO 200, 1/200, F7.1, 400mm, using Partial metering, cropped a tad, resized, levels, FM, Nr.
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:06 PM   #2

2. ISO 200, 1/320, F7.1, 400mm using partial metering, cropped, resized, levels, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

3. ISO 200, 1/400, F7.1, 400mm using partial metering, cropped, resized, levels, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4

4. White duck - ISO 200, 1/2000, F5.6, 160mm using Partial metering, cropped, resized, levels, FM and NR.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
DBB

Ofhand I would say you've got a real exotic bird there. It looks like the Little Green Heron afrter a complete makeover. I would bet (and probably lose everything but the kitchen sink) that it's a South American relative of the Green Heron.

Worth of taking the effort of getting an experts opinion...

Oh, yeah, really great shots!!!!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:33 AM   #6

Great shots and excellent exposure on both, Houston, especially on the white fellow. I also believe this to be a Green Heron that probably just came up from a dip in the water looking for a fish, thus the ragged top. That would be my amateur guess.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:03 AM   #7

wonderful shots, were they hand held? Ive been shooting at ISO 400 and have wondered if maybe I should go to 200 and see what the difference may be.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:52 PM   #8

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
wonderful shots, were they hand held? Ive been shooting at ISO 400 and have wondered if maybe I should go to 200 and see what the difference may be.
Thanks Alady and yes they were hand held. But remember I'm now using the 100-400L which has image stabilization and allows me to shoot with 2 or 3 stops slower shutter speed and still be OK. In order to keep your shutter speed up especially on low light, overcast days you will still need to keep the ISO up in order to get the shutter speed that you need. The only real main difference that I see in using ISO 200 instead of 400 is less noise and that can be taken care of. I hope I'm saying this correctly and if anyone dissagrees please don't hesitate to let us know.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:09 PM   #9

Thanks Norm and Dave. And I'm satisfied now that it is a Green Heron. It was fooling me because in the book that I have it doesn't show the "ragged top" but it does say that when disturbed it will often elevate the shaggy top. So I guess I must have been disturbing him as he raised his top and disappeared pretty quickly. :roll:

Norm, I've saved your tip on exposures. Looks like I have no choice but to learn how to work with layers. :G

Houston
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:24 PM   #10

Nice ones Houston. Like his hair.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote