Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:15 AM   #1

I know these are not the greatest shots, the weather has been too overcast and dark lately. These are in a run down sports field across the road from my house, the council has not been taking care of the land so the grass is long, birds of all kinds now come here to feed off the seeds etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion for settings to shoot in with overcast conditions, these were shot at F8 ISO 400 on AV setting at 300mm

Hiding in the long grass

A group of them take off

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:19 AM   #2

i hate saying this to people that know what they are doing, but sometimes the AUTO mode on your camera will produce better shots than the settings which your able to input.

You should try the lowest f/ (5.6ish) and the highest ISO (1600-3200) with a moderate shutter speed like 1/60-1/200. Seems to work on my Canon300d with 100-300USM.

Which body and lens did you take these with?

twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:56 AM   #3

thanks, images were with Canon rebel and 100-300 usm lens. Ive never thought of trying those settings so will give it a go.:-)
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:58 AM   #4

PS. auto not worth the trouble for these kind of shots, I need to have the camera working at it's fastest and on auto it was too slow (I did try it) and I missed shots.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:13 AM   #5
DBB

Just an observation here.

Noise is not as important a factor in sport shots as in wildlife shots.

May I suggest that you first test the various ISO settings in advance, taking a good look at dark, areas, extreme color areas and find out which ISO to use in cloudy or rainy conditions.

Canon is known for having lttle noise in the higher ISO's, even so 3200 or even 1600 might leave you a wee bit unhappy.

Do a test first, before you lose a shot of one of your fairy wrens...

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

I shoot all my bird shots at ISO 400, helps with handheld shots and big lens. I then use neat image. noise does not bother me because I can usually fix it later. I have to have a look at experimenting with different settings.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7

Something is very wierd about those pictures. While i don't agree with using the auto settings, you definitly did something wrong while taking those pictures. It isn't focused and it looks very desaturated. I would never have guessed that those were taken with a rebel. Im guessing it is the lens that you are using. Also, try not to go above ISO 800 with the rebel, there is too much noise at 1600. Other than that, I'm not sure. Just try playing around with the settings and try not to edit them too much in photoshop. That also might be your problem if you doing a ton of editing.

Oh and also, noise is a big deal when taking sports and action shots. To take those shots, you need a f/2.8 so you can get the high shutter speeds. The lower the ISO you can go, the bigger you can print the picture. Good luck.

Danny O.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8

I think I said that these were shot at ISO 400 at F8, the day was dark getting late in the day. The lens is fine as the photo below shows, it was shot at the same settings butwith the right lighting, the photos were not over edited. Im just wondering about settings for this kind of lighting which Im finding very difficult.

Old May 1, 2005, 2:08 AM   #9

Hi there Alady,

This is still my favourite shot. BTW, Ilike your new avatar.

roncur

roncur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:13 AM   #10

Thanks roncur, better lighting today, Im going out to shoot some more pics:-)