Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 2, 2005, 5:16 PM   #1

I ran into a swarm of swallows chasing bugs over water and I tried in vain to get some flight shots. They were simply too fast for the 400/5.6, even though this lens is a fast focus; it wasn't fast enough for these particular birds. So, I pulled out the 200/1.8 and it reminded me why I keep it around:

The participants:

The action

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 6:39 PM   #2

Wonderful shooting! The 200/1.8 certainly came through for you. I like all the photos, (great capture of very quick action), but to me the second one is absolutely spectacular! Even though it is a still shot, something about the colors and detail. Wow!

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:59 PM   #3

ThomasATC wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shooting! The 200/1.8 certainly came through for you. I like all the photos, (great capture of very quick action), but to me the second one is absolutely spectacular! Even though it is a still shot, something about the colors and detail. Wow!

Thomas.
Thanks Thomas, that one is actually my favorite of the bunch as well. Everything just seemed to come together on it, not to mention the bird landing on a limb exactly at minimum focus range for that particular lens. It couldn't have been better without having been staged.
Old May 2, 2005, 8:05 PM   #4

Some Fantastic shots Norm! I like them all.
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5
djb

Well Norm, you know what i posted over at Frd Miranda's site!!! What shutter speed and f/stop were you using? and, i will assume you were shooting bursts at 8fps. what distance were you from these little speed demons? i had a duck fly right at and over me and couldn't get tail feathers on the way over. and these little swallows move so much faster. great sgots!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6

I've just about run out of words to describe how I feel everytime I look at your new posts. They always amaze me to no end. Like Thomas, the second one is my favorite. Chrystal clear and sharp as a tack and the color just adds to it. Well done .

Regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:44 PM   #7

Old Codger wrote:
Quote:
Some Fantastic shots Norm! I like them all.
Thanks Codger, glad you got some enjoyment from them.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:51 PM   #8

djb wrote:
Quote:
Well Norm, you know what i posted over at Frd Miranda's site!!! What shutter speed and f/stop were you using? and, i will assume you were shooting bursts at 8fps. what distance were you from these little speed demons? i had a duck fly right at and over me and couldn't get tail feathers on the way over. and these little swallows move so much faster. great sgots!!!

dennis
Thanks dennis, I didn't put 2 and 2 together but I'm assuming that you are the balbod dennis, then? In any event, I appreciate the comments immensely. These shots were very short bursts. I've found that the more I use the Mark II the less I go for heavy bursts for two reasons: 1) not necessary to have so many 2) more time spent on following and focusing I've found to be more lucrative, especially in situations like this where the bird is all over the place, up and down, over and out, etc. I was no more than 20 or so feet from the birds when I caught them on camera but they fly so quickly that they are really only that close for an instant so it's difficult to gauge actual distance. As I have said, the 400/5.6 is probably the fastest AF lens that I have in my bag and it wasn't fast enough for these birds. I had to shelf it and grab the 200/1.8, which is one of the fastest lenses on the planet I think. It is wicked, heavy, pudgy, and wickedly wonderful for stuff like this. :-)
Old May 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #9

Houston wrote:
Quote:
I've just about run out of words to describe how I feel everytime I look at your new posts. They always amaze me to no end. Like Thomas, the second one is my favorite. Chrystal clear and sharp as a tack and the color just adds to it. Well done .

Regards

Houston
Thanks so much Houston, I was very happy with these shots as they were taken on a bitter cold, windy day when I really wasn't anticipating getting anything worth keeping. So this was a bonus catch :-)
Old May 2, 2005, 11:43 PM   #10
djb

yes Norm, i'm balbod on the FM forums. thanx for the info. you continue to amaze me!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote