Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 15, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1

Tough year for theAvocets at the farm pond. We had a major rainstorm and the water in the pond rose a lot and drowned out all but one of the nest. Where there had been about 30Avocets now there are only 2 adults.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 6:19 AM   #2

zoomn, these are fantastic shots. Love everything about them.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:52 AM   #3
DBB

bmullen@comcast wrote:
Quote:
zoomn, these are fantastic shots. Love everything about them.
I disagree. Worst shots of a charging White Rhino I've ever seen....

Oh, these are Avocets?

This is one bird I envy you. We don't have it in Brooklyn...

The soft colors, broken by the orange...

Yeah, I guess they are fantastic shots!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4

Beautiful colors. Sad that the nest were lost, but that's nature.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 9:54 PM   #5

Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Yes I was very sad to see all nests were lost. Nature can really be tough. It has been a very wet spring here.
Old May 15, 2005, 9:59 PM   #6

All great shots with very good cropping decisions. It's a shame that so many of these beautiful birds were lost in such a disappointing and quick way. I'd be floored. In any event, you are getting some great memories of the ones who remain. I see a distinct difference in contrast between #4 and the others. #4 looks best on my monitor so I thought I'd just relay this info to you if you care to use it for any records of settings. I wouldn't have even mentioned it had the difference between 4 and the rest been not so much.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 10:10 PM   #7

Thanks for commenting Normcar. Does that mean 4 has more or less. I am guessing less.

1 2 and 4 were taking at dawn at the green pond with subdued light, I brightened them about +6 and about +3on the contrast.

3 and 5 weretaken at the rock pond at about 9:30 and the sun was out. I darkened them about -4 and about +2 on the contrast. I don't know why 4 seems to have more or less contrast than the others. My eye can't detect the difference. Thanks for pointing it out to me though, I will try to be more uniform in my next ones.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:19 AM   #8

zoomn wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for commenting Normcar. Does that mean 4 has more or less. I am guessing less.

1 2 and 4 were taking at dawn at the green pond with subdued light, I brightened them about +6 and about +3on the contrast.

3 and 5 weretaken at the rock pond at about 9:30 and the sun was out. I darkened them about -4 and about +2 on the contrast. I don't know why 4 seems to have more or less contrast than the others. My eye can't detect the difference. Thanks for pointing it out to me though, I will try to be more uniform in my next ones.
Zoomn, I meant that it had a bit more contrast on my monitor. Upon investigation I'd say that the reason is that photo has more of the greener bank in it rather than simply reflecting green, so the contrast appears more. It's all personal taste and because #4 has more contrast to me doesn't necessarily mean that I like it the best, so please don't do anything like try to be more uniform. I would suggest that you do exactly what you are now doing, and exactly what you would do with food, season to taste, and your taste, not anyone else's. I like all of these photos for different reasons and contrast isn't really one of the important points for me because a touch of contrast here or there is extremely subjective and minor IMO.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote