Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 21, 2005, 12:18 AM   #1
djb

This mockingbird was a bit agitated by me. He wanted to get around my truck and I kept trying to snap a few shots of him and he would run to the other side of the truck. After trying to play tag for a while he finally flew to a fence and gave me this angry look and flew away.

dennis

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 1:36 AM   #2

Dennis, this is an excellent photograph, nice job. The log seems slightly overexposed but the bird's tail isn't, which is strange to me. I suspect that rather than being overexposed the log perch is naturally a bit light. So, that means your photograph is officially perfect.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 3:34 AM   #3

Nice shot Dennis, I love the sharpness you guys are getting from your 100-400's wish I could join you in that club.
Norm, do you think there might be another explination that only the top of that bird perch is white... it'll come to ya
Edited 'cause I kant spel :roll:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 4:22 AM   #4

Great shot Dennis!! Patience and determination does payoff!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:08 AM   #5

Excellent photo Dennis. He does look a bit ticked. The detail is wonderful and the background fits perfectly. Did the fence have a coat of white paint along the top? That's the only thing I can figure on why it's so light. Look forward to more. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:28 AM   #6
djb

thanx all!!! i am really pleased with this shot!!! as for the fence, it was painted red at one time and it has worn from the elements and bitrd landings. i think some of the "white" is from weathering and some from bird droppings wearing into the rail. I also did use the shaddow/highlight option to reduce the whiteness. thanx again!!!

dennis
Old May 21, 2005, 1:26 PM   #7

Hi dennis, I only have to echo all what was saidabove, it really is a sharp, clear photo, with a "good attitude" from the bird, seems like a film star saying, "Okaaay, i'll give you one more pose, but just hurry!!"

Quote:
The log seems slightly overexposed but the bird's tail isn't, which is strange to me
A question I have been wanting to ask the guys on the forum, and Houston alluded to it a few weeks ago with his wood stork pic [he uses aRebel, I think]I have noticed with my 20D/100-400 combo that sometimes I can have extremely overexposed highlights with dark shadow areas, even though the objects are quite close to each other and not in shadows,and I have sort of wondered if it is a failing of the combo, the lens, or the camera, or none of the above but a flaw in my technique. In particular, I find if I have a white bird with a darkish green background, the white bird tends to overexpose, sometimes too much to recover even in raw mode.

Just wondered if any of you guys have an idea, seeing as Norm broached the topic with the above quotation [no downer at allon your pic, dennis]
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 5:54 PM   #8
djb

Jake, as i see it, it is a quirk of metering. on my 20D i use partial metering which is similar to spot metering but does take in quite a bit of area. so, if part of the "spot" is on the dark and part of it is on the light then i have a feeling it tries to compensate for the darker areas. if you use the other meter modes then most of the metering will br on the dark background and expose for that, leaving you with blown highlights. i pretty much use +1/3 to +2/3 EC in normal shooting and in the - rnage when i have a very light subject so i kind of underexpose the shot. and when taking in flight shots and the bottom of the bird is dark then i use up to +1 1/3 EC so the shaddows expose okay and the sky is a bit overexposed. i don't know if this helps. maybe Norm or the others can explain it better.

dennis

p.s. Jake, thanx for the comments!!!!

Old May 22, 2005, 7:38 AM   #9

Thanks Dennis, I'll give your advise a go, it does make a lot of sense. It seems to me that it could be the 100-400 that somehow causes theuneven metering, I don't have any problems with theEF-S 17-85, in fact, the 20D sems tobe ablecompensate very well with high contrasts in lighting with the wide angle lens, but somehow not with the 100-400. I used a 70-300 DO for a while and did not experience any overexposed highlight issues, however, the first day of using the 100-400, I noticedthis particular issue arise [although, I also noticed a huge improvement in the overall quality of theimages in other aspects!!]. Another "scene" where it poses the sameproblem is in a shaded forest area with some of the leaves glintingsunlight. These leaves are invariably overexposed with the shadow areas either correct, or even underexposed. I had thought that maybe a filter of sorts might even the contrasts out, but the thought of installing and removing filters all day did not appeal to me. Anyway, thanks again for the tips, If I find a workable solution, I'll post it somewhere here.

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote