Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 21, 2005, 1:30 AM   #1

This is one of the reasons why I keep the 200/1.8 around, for it's capacity to isolate one specific aspect of a photo, in these cases, highlighting gosling cuteness. All of these were shot wide open with a 1.4x extender attached, bringing the lens to F/2.5:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 4:16 AM   #2

Excellent photos Norm. This series "is" a very good tutorial on the use of
shallow DOF. One of these days I'll get myself a fast lens like that as well
as a long macro, longer telephoto, etc. Will it ever end?:G
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:05 AM   #3

My 8-year-old daughter summed it up for me, "Little fluffy duckies!" and "Awwww". I was amazed to notice that they have adult looking feet and beaks, but everything else is just fluff.

Norm - have you ever posted a more complete list of your favorite lenses and accessories? I've searched through many (woo boy, many!) of your posts looking for model and series names. I'm guessing it must be top-of-the-line to get these types of shots.

Happy days,
Martha
book_vender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4

woodmeister wrote:
Quote:
Excellent photos Norm. This series "is" a very good tutorial on the use of
shallow DOF. One of these days I'll get myself a fast lens like that as well
as a long macro, longer telephoto, etc. Will it ever end?:G

Thanks Woodmeister, when you get that lens I know you will do it justice and we'll all be enjoying some great DOF shots. I'll eventually pick up a macro myself but now I've got my eye on...:shock:
Old May 21, 2005, 9:16 AM   #5
djb

nice series Norm!!! I really like the one with it's mouth open. reminds me of a dirty snowball with legs.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:36 AM   #6

book_vender wrote:
Quote:
My 8-year-old daughter summed it up for me, "Little fluffy duckies!" and "Awwww". I was amazed to notice that they have adult looking feet and beaks, but everything else is just fluff.

Norm - have you ever posted a more complete list of your favorite lenses and accessories? I've searched through many (woo boy, many!) of your posts looking for model and series names. I'm guessing it must be top-of-the-line to get these types of shots.

Happy days,
Martha
Thanks so much, Martha, I'm real happy to have gotten a bit of a reaction from your daughter. I love doing that sort of stuff and am pleased that you have shared it. I havecome to the conclusion that, with photography, you do get what you pay for, so I've had to purchase some expensive gear in order to get the shots that I wish to get.

My kit is as follows: Canon prime - 200/ f1.8L, 400/5.6L, 135/2L; zooms - 24-70L, 70-200L, Sigma 50-500; Kenko extension tube set;Canon 1.4x and 2x extenders; cameras - Rebel and Mark II. It's an expensive set but it's a great hobby and if I decide to quit I'll be able to get almost what I paid for everything but the camera bodies, so it isn't as terrible as it may appear :G

Believe it or not I use them all too. I use the two Canon zooms for wedding, event, and candid shots and the primes for various wildlife endeavors. I will eventually have a 500/4 IS Canon but that remains on my wish list until some money falls from the sky.

Say hi to your daughter and tell her that her comments were just duckie! Tell her that this one is just for her:

Old May 21, 2005, 9:40 AM   #7

Thanks dennis, quite the comparison you arrived at. :G
Old May 23, 2005, 10:39 AM   #8

Man, I missed these. Really artistic ones Normcar.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:48 AM   #9

I missed em too! Great stuff Norm. Classic work showing how to use depth of field to create a fantastic effect. The colors and detail are spot on as usual.

I really like the tilt effect on the photos as well.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote