Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 26, 2005, 5:06 PM   #11

Not that I know that much about avain photography or anything...however, I do know that Eric is right about some places in Florida having birds verging on being "tame". I remember going through the St. Augustine Alligator Farm about 7yrs ago (before I started really shooting).

Every kind of bird you could imagine built their nests within a foot or so from the elevated walkways that went over the gator ponds. The guides said they did this because the gators insured that land mammals/reptiles had almost zero chance of getting access & climbing up the tree trunks (which grew out of the ponds) to rob the nests & the birds learned this over the years. The birds were also "hardcore people watchers" & wouldn't think twice about attacking an outstretched hand! We were carrying our 7yr old daughter with us & had to watch her fingers like they were grubs!
Old May 26, 2005, 5:37 PM   #12
DBB

djb wrote:
Quote:
Eric, i have been to the Grat Meadows in Concord once. My problem is i need 2 hip replacements and really can't walk any distance now. I do go to the Sudbury Conservation land off Water Row Rd. off of Rte 27 in Sudbury. That's where I've been getting most of my shots. Great blues and Greens. Also, that's where the tree swallows have a nest and also a bluebird nest. Someone told me there are owls but, I haven't seen any. I only shoot off the street or out of my truck, weather dependant. But, in august i get both my hips replaced and will be able to get to a lot of places i don't get to now. the NPN crew can be a bit intimidating (for lack of a better term) because of their skills level but, they are fairly gentle in their critiques. They definitely have a wealth of information to tap into. Oh, in Sudbury I have seen 4 pairs of wood ducks. they have to be the most timid bird i've encountered. i haven't been able to get a clear shot of them even at long distance. Well, i guess i should get back to work but, this is more fun!!!

dennis
I think that you consistanly post excelent shots!

And I wish you well on the hip replacements. They're going to give you "rehabilitation," and part of that will consist of pushing you to move....

I can't think of better incentive...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:38 PM   #13
djb

thanx Dave!!!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 9:20 AM   #14

If you are able to walk 500 hundred feet (maybe a bit more?) then Daniel Webster might be what you need.

There is a nice big bird blind, with a bench, right next to a pond. You just sit there and click away (when the birds present themselves.) It's a relaxing place to go and has generated some really nice pictures for me.

And I agree with DBB, you take some very nice picture.

Wood ducks are very scared of people (at least around here.) I've only had luck getting near them when they are on a river that has foot traffic. Then they can't go that far and people are always around. There is one not that far from me that (I'm told) has 10 babies. I gotta see that if the sun ever comes out.

Good luck with the Hip replacements. Two at once... wow.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:23 PM   #15
djb

thanx Eric!!! where on the south shore is the Daniel Webster area?? I should look it up on the web. is it usually crowded? i go down to the cape to hyannis from time to time. oh,oh, oh!!! Daniel Webster!! is it in sandwich?? anyway, thanx for the compliments. i do try and am a bit more experimentative at times which helps to learn the limitations of my equipment. hey, again, you were the one that helped me make my equipment decisions. i think t worked out well for now. but, oh, to have a 600mm!!!! actually if i go long prime, i may decide to go the 300mm f/2.8 or the 500mm (more easily handholdable). i really like to be mobile and only handhold. somehow, i'd rather put the money into a lense that i can handhold than a tripod and head. oops, i'm rambling. sorry. work time. thanx again!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 3:51 PM   #16

Glad to have helped.

Unless you have the strength of Arnold in his weight lifting days, you probably can't hand-hold the 500mm prime. It is possible, but unlikely. At 12 pounds and with so much power it doesn't take much before motion blur sets in.

Daniel Webster is in Marshfield:
http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Co...ster/index.php

It isn't usually crowded, at least not when I've been there (which is both on the weekend and during the week some times.)

It is off Rt3. So depending on how you go to the Cape, it its an easy stop over. Wellfleet Mass Audubon is also very nice, but you'll have to wait until after your hips are done. Lots of walking there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:54 PM   #17

SUper sHots :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 11:22 PM   #18

Thanks for all your responces. I know that my picture is not that good. Nowhere near as good as the pictures yall post. I mostly posted It so yall could see that I am lissening to your tips.
I did not plan to get any good bird pics when I went out the other day. I just went out to the swamp to try some of your suggestions. I didnt even bring my tripod. I was just playimg with the av and tv modes, changings shutter speeds and looking at the led. Then I saw the heron again and started shooting. I set the shutter speed at 1/250 but the canon viewer says it was 1/25 ??? I dint know. But I'm happy that they are clearer than my first atempt. Baby steps.
Big Chuck
Attached Images

twistedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 8:51 AM   #19

Twistedpuppy.

I like your approach. You are actively working to make your photos better and that is half the battle your photos will improve very quickly. Your photo today is already 50% better than your one from the other day.

If I may add to this already long mail. I am new to this myself and the best lesson I learned is the first thing Eric S mentioned. In that kind of light he would probably not have taken the picture. Sometimes when the light is crap and something amazing is happening you take it anyway and it turns out ok cause of the action. Ordinary shots in bad light are just.........not going to be really good photos. Here is an example of some action ina bad exposureand too far away that nothing more could be done with. If this were a bird just standing there noone would look at it twice.

Here is one is really bad light. Now if your photo had a Heron with a big hog like this hanging out of its mouth it would still be an interesting photo. Again just trying to give an example tomakes Eric S point. This photo look a lot like your photo as far as the lighting and overall look of it. Strictly due to bad light.

Now with good lighting and and some action this is what you get with exactly the same equipment. It is all about the light.

As for the standing heron shots. Yes there are a million of them posted and it is tough to post one that is enough different to make them interesting. Sometimes it is the background that makes them interesting, or the light, did I say it's all about the light. Just keep plugging away, you will have a blast learning and experimenting. The more you experiment the faster your photos will improve. Go find some herons in the sun and hopefullyone will give you look like this one gave me.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:56 PM   #20
DBB

Hi Jake

The challenge in photography is to make do, with what you gots...:lol:

So I totally disagree with you...

And if you look at my posts, I'm a "good light fanatic."

Indeed I love getting up before dawn and hitting the beach or a lake shore, to catch that strange light, that is never the same...

Now, take a GOOD look at this recent post by twisted puppy. See the faint reflection in the water?

This could have been a facinating image. It's a BLEAK background, looks like a damn puddle and not a swamp.

Even so, the challenge that this light and background presented is quite interesting. I would have loved to have the opportunity to do something with it...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote