Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 26, 2005, 12:47 AM   #1

The swallows fly in their ever graceful ways all about my house during the spring and summer. We get 3 different species local to me: Tree, Barn, and Violet-Green. I try mightily to catch shots of them during flight but they are way too fast for me (and my 20D). Fortunately, these guys decided to alight on my cedar shake roof for a few seconds and I had my opportunity.

Canon 20D, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/320 @ f/7.1 and ISO 100 (Barn Swallow):

Canon 20D, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/400 @ f/7.1 and ISO 100 (Barn Swallow):

Canon 20D, 300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC, 1/400 @ f/7.1 and ISO 100 (Violet-Green Swallow - juvie or female):

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2

Welcome back geoffs. Its been a long time.I like #1 the best.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:58 AM   #3

Good to hear from you too, Bobby! It has been a long time for me and I hope to make myself a more regular visitor once again (but reality tells me that it won't be as frequent as it was last year - sigh).

Thanks for looking at these swallow shots. I like #1 also although I think that #2, because of the head and chest plumage detail, was my favorite.

For most swallow shots I think I need a 1DMkIV, or something similar! :-)
Old May 26, 2005, 11:32 AM   #4

Beautiful shots geoffs! That includes your previous 2 postings.....cheers........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5

Definitely good to have you back.

I hadn't even heard of a Violet Green one before you're posting here. I'm going to have to go look them up.

I'm mixed on which I like better. I think #2.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments, kman, I really appreciate it!

Eric, you won't find violet-green swallows in your half of the country :-), you've got to do some traveling if you really want to see them. As for #2, that was my favorite too. Unfortunately, it also shows up some very colorful lichen growth on my cedar shakes which I ought to take care of!
Old May 27, 2005, 3:54 PM   #7

Welcome back geoff, nice to see your shots here again. When one thinks of the guys at Steves, there are a handfull or two that stand out as "mentors" to me, you being one of them, your advise and examples, alongwith the others, has kept the carrot in front of the donkey, showing the "bigger picture" concerning photography, it is much appreciated.

BTW, nice pics all three posts - and a big "Awe, cute!!" from my wife [referring to the ducklings, that is !!]

Quote:
I try mightily to catch shots of them during flight but they are way too fast for me (and my 20D).
I have tried so many times to catch swallows in flight, skimming on water, got some reasonable [but not good] shots, however the challenge is still there [except the swallows haveflown, i'll have to waittill summer to give it another bash

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 4:39 PM   #8

Jake, you are being too nice when you mention me as one of the handful that stand out on these forums. I look at myself as one of the "learners" (aren't we all, really?). The real standouts in my book are guys like Norm, Eric, Eric CAN, and zoomn, and it is those guys that I look up to (heh, heh - it'd also help if I had the money to get some of the same equipment some of them own... )

Seriously, thanks for the compliment and I will strive to get better so that I can live up to the image you have set before me!
Old May 27, 2005, 10:01 PM   #9

Hi Geoffs, I was wondering where you had gotten off to!

REally nice colors in these shots. I like the first one best cause of the pose.

Your new equipment is really doing the job for you!

The colors on that last one or very interesting. I don't think I have seen one of those, but certainly don't claim to know much about bird species.

Hope to see you around more often.

I am kind of in the same boat, I started a new job and actually have to work during the day now. I don't get on here near as much as I used to.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote