Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old May 27, 2005, 4:11 PM   #1

Not a marvellous pic as such, it does lack flowers and things like Kenny's great bee pics, however, I know a few of you guys use a 20D and perhaps wonder how pics shot at iso 3200 look like. I used the 100-400 lens with an extension tube [short one, forgotten what the size is], and shot at iso 3200, f8, Aperture priority, hand held [as always]
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

Added a dragon fly jus' hangin around for some colour
Attached Images

Old May 27, 2005, 4:44 PM   #3

Wow, Jake, you did a great job in getting these! And at ISO 3200 I have to say that the visible noise is very low. Can I assume that you did some NR on these images in post-processing?

You did use a flash on the first shot, didn't you?

I've been thinking about scraping the money together to get the Sigma 150mm macro lens but perhaps I'd be better served getting a set of extension tubes. What was your distance to subject in these shots?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 5:15 PM   #4

Hi geoff, there was a fair bit of noise in the background area. Actually it [the background]was quite dark, almost black, and I have found the 20D to have an unusual "black", very much like a mixture of reds and greens [which I suppose that is what black is made up from] I did not use a flash, just direct morning sunlight, it was a tad overexposed. So... I reduced the exposure [raw], then selectedthe background with "select - color range" then used "levels" to darken the spotty backgroundmore till no noise was visible. Iran Noise Ninja through it as a final. It all sounds complicated, but took a minute or two.

Th distance was about 2m away, about the minimal focussing distance with the 100-400.I suppose proper macro would be better, but I think this turned out Ok.

The dragon fly was taken a few weeks ago, I just added it for something else to view. I used the same extension tube, but the iso setting was set at 400, [my sort of standard setting] That one had no NR required.

Why I tried the iso 3200 was to try and get the wings of the bee visible cause I had shot a few before at iso 400 and 800 and 1600 without getting much wing visibility, and I think the camera had a bit of difficulty exposing on the "small" bee rather than the background, hence the relatively low shutter speed of 1600. Anyway, these are the results, which are a good learningcurve for me.

Thanks for looking in

Old May 27, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5

Your bee capture is definitely awesome Jake. The detail is amazing with the bee around 2 metres away. These super close-up shots are what I really like....to see the details of the subject. Great work jake!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 1:54 AM   #6

Quote:
These super close-up shots are what I really like....to see the details of the subject
Thanks mr "bee man" himself - I see the bee has alittlearial thing on his nose, much like the dragonflies. [I really enjoyed your bees with the flowers !!]
Old May 28, 2005, 6:00 AM   #7

Good stuff, Jake!
zolbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 6:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Good stuff, Jake!

Thanks for looking in Zol, appreciate your comments
Old May 28, 2005, 7:54 AM   #9

great shots especially the second one.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 10:35 AM   #10

Thanks Julie - noticed you've been absent for a while??