Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 2, 2005, 1:13 PM   #11

Nice closeup in #2. These guys have almost disappeared from my local park.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:58 PM   #12
djb

Norm, very nice shots!!!! But, is there a way to bring out more detail in the shaddows?? Unless my monitor is really off (very possible as i am at work with old equipment), they seem a bit dark to me. i really think the eyes on cormorants are beautiful!!! the 2nd pic shows it well. i saw 1 last year. haven't seen one since.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:47 PM   #13

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments and suggestions. Dennis, I wanted to keep the contrast of dark and light rather than try to bring out the shadow detail such as below. I appreciate the input and tried some curves and gamma correction but this confirmed my initial decision to keep it as is, thanks. Here's an example of an attempt to bring out more shadow. I don't like the overall appearance as much but maybe others do :-):

Attached Images

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:51 PM   #14

Hi Norm. These are the best looking Cormorants I've ever seen. You've got the best detail imaginable in these black birds with the wingcolor andmarkings still excellent. Your sky is still so blue and I always end up with practically a white sky by the time I get any detail in the black ones. These would be keepers for anyone.

Cheers

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:53 PM   #15
djb

hmmm!!!!! the original does seem crisper and does have more contrast (as to be espected) than the reworked shot. now i'm not so sure which i like better. i think i do lean towards the original!!! well, i know i'd be extremely happy with either of them.

dennis
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:53 PM   #16

Normcar these are fabulous shots. I would kill to have any one of them.

I would have a heck of a time picking a favorite but it might just be the first one. This is such a mature looking specimen with tons of character in his face and you captured his facial expression so well.

I do think, if you willallow me a small nit,some of them could have been made even better with a bit of fill flash.

I have been studying some of the better photos I have been seeing over on Nature Photographers and I think most of them are taken with some fill flash even though they do not normally say they used it. When used correctly it makes a significant difference. Often making the difference between a great photo and a fantastic one.

I plan to experiment with it a lot more in the near future.

zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:19 PM   #17
djb

Norm, aha!!! at home the pics are much nicer. the original is better!!! as for what zoomn says about fill flash & the NPN is true. I'll have to start trying to use it if a can get close enought o make it wortwhile.

dennis
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:55 PM   #18

I hear what you are saying about fill flash, zoomn, and I respect personal choices to use it for sure. My personal decision has been to avoid the use of flash as I like the way ambient light highlights a photograph and either provides or doesn't provide detail in shadow. Similarly, I don't mind it if ambient light blows highlights a touch either (the other end of the spectrum). Whatever comes out naturally is what I'm striving after in my shots right now and even a fill flash would militate against that goal. Perhaps my goals will change at sometime in the future but I'll keep the flash for weddings and indoor people photography for now :-).

PS - I also don't like to use a flash on birds or other animals, even if most of them don't seem to be bothered by it. I like to keep it as natural as possible. Thanks for the suggestion, though, and please, keep on suggesting things if any ideas arise. I love to have input to weigh on the balance.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote