Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1
DBB

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/HSCAPE1.JPG[/img]

Full frame from 250 yards

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/HSCAPE11.JPG[/img]

Close crop of the above

The first image is full frame. This bird was about 250 yards away (give or take a hundred feet), and saw me as soon as I saw him. My trained dog and I immediatatly went onto our camofloge routine. I, immitating a dead chicken, and he immitating a wounded toad.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GHER11.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GHER16.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/GHER18.JPG[/img]

Well, he let us get within a 125 feet before flying away, and I was surprised he let us get that close. But it turns out that we needn't have taken such extreme measures. What he was doing on this dead tree was scratching all those hard to reach spots, by using the dead branches...

And satisfying a good itch over-rides other requirements!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 5:09 PM   #2
djb

really good shots, Dave!!! the 3rd ic as he's scratching, he's also watching you. the flight shot is nice. actually an attractive bird while in flight.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:22 PM   #3
DBB

Mine is an interesting series. I have much better shots of these birds. However, your recent post consists of better shots of these birds, hence your making the list of those whom I am arranging to "take care of."

All that being said, now that I know where he gets rid of an itch, I suspect I will be able to get quite a bit closer. I'll find out in the days ahead...

Normally these birds don't show up in the marsh until late July. They, like the other Herons don't raise their families there. "It's a nice place to fish, but I wouldn't want to live there," seems to be their attitude. once the chicks are on their own, they move in by the heap...

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:08 PM   #4
djb

hmmm!!!! Dave, so i'm still on your "list"!!!! let's see, you have nice pics of egrets, cormorants, and black capped night herons, and others that i don't!!!!!! and i'm on your hit list??? i don't know, buddy, maybe I should make a list!!!!:ak47::ak47::-)

dennis

p.s. there are so many good photographers on these boards. All have been quite complimentary and supportive!! it's really nice to be able learn and joke around with others that we hardly know and yet, sem to know.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:30 AM   #5

3 and 4 are Really good. Great detail and contrast. The pose on 3 is kinda cute!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote