Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:36 AM   #1

I have a D70 with a 28-300 Tamron as it's first lens. I know the glass is probably the most important part of the equipment but I cannot at this time afford a big fast lens. ( someday ). I seem to always need the " sharpen " button on my post processing. This is the lens? I shoot hand held all the time and even at 1000th of a second the long end shots are a bit soft. Your comments are welcome.

http://webpages.charter.net/carpist/...res/index.html
carpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
DBB

Before going any further with this, I would suggest you use the sharpening settings of the camera. Unless you are shooting in NEF format, the amount of sharpening in the image is determined by the settings you make in the camera.

Only NEF allows you to change that afterwards.

Keep in mind that the higher the ISO, the noisier the image will appear.

I looked at three images. the dragonfly appears sharp enough, the Ospray coming in is clearly from too far away, it's going to look "soft" just from the distance involved, and finally the Oriole was a bit noisy, but not "soft."

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
I seem to always need the " sharpen " button on my post processing. This is the lens?
I wouldn't worry too much if you need to do some out-of-camera sharpening as just about everyone does it, no matter what the lens. It's not a matter of whether or not you need to use USM (unsharp mask) but how you use it, if you use too much or not enough. You can get away with some inexpensive lenses if you hone your post-processing skills, and doing this costs nothing but time.

By the way, you have some very good photos in that selection and you would be doing them justice by making them as presentable as possible with your processing tools. They are already good, but they could be better. Nice job.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:23 PM   #4
djb

gee, i wish i had some shots like those!!

dennis

p.s. what Dave and Norm said!!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5

heron_2-1.jpg is really a great shot

-Silent-
silent_freak is offline   Reply With Quote