Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

Owls have eluded me ever since I got into photograpghy about2 yrs ago. Got lucky today. Iwent to a local wildlife preserve near my house. The place closes at 4:30pm but today the gate was open and right near the gate, I saw something which looked like a Dove from a distance but turned out to be owl. I could barely control myself. Had 400mmF5.6 on 10D. Lowered thepassenger side window and took a big burst of shots. Then I put 1.4xTC on and took couple more of bursts. I was worried they might be blurred as this lens doesn't have IS, but they came good.

Here are 2 shots, first one bare 400mm5.6. Second one is with 1.4xTC. Third one is 100% crop of the TC shot. So far, I am loving this new lens.

f6.3, ISO 200, 1/1600 at 400mm, hand held.

f5.6(f8 actual)ISO400, 1/800sec. 560mm, hand held. This is almost full-frame.

USM applied to all 3.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:38 PM   #2
KEM

Wow! The detail is excellent.

That single yellow eyemakes him look like one of thecreatures from Monsters inc.

-Kent

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:39 PM   #3
djb

bobbyz, wow!!! real nice shots!!! great exposure and background. only wish he/she were turned more towards you to show both eyes. but, as we all know, we take what we get, when we get it. how close were you?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:45 PM   #4

Bobby, WOW - great find and skillfully done.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:49 PM   #5

Great shots, bobby, between an excellent photographer and an excellent lens that owl didn't have a chance. It didn't take long for you to get used to that 400, and I wasn't expecting anything else. I've yet to hear a horror story on that lens once a person has had a chance to play with it enough.

Congratulations on getting some really fine shots of that owl. Now, do you have video tape of your excitement when you first saw it? I'm sure that would be good stuff as well :lol:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

djb wrote:
Quote:
bobbyz, wow!!! real nice shots!!! great exposure and background. only wish he/she were turned more towards you to show both eyes. but, as we all know, we take what we get, when we get it. how close were you?

dennis
Dennis I was almost at MFD of 400mmf5.6 which is somewhere near 12 feet. This guy landed on a fence post by the road.

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7

Thanks Normcar (& everyone else).

I am getting used to the lens. The day before I was able to get couple of good avocets in flight shots. That used to almost impossible with 100-400L. I will post them later.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:37 PM   #8
DBB

These are almost cartoony in the pose. I love all of these! The really sureal way that he peaks out of his feathers is both funny and riviting. Great Shots:!::!::!:

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:41 PM   #9

Fantastic photos. The quality is unbelievable. You certainly captured the moment.

Thomas.
ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote