Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:02 PM   #1
DBB

These shots were taken from a very great distance, roughly a third of a mile. I wouldn't normally post them, but both the Loon and the Wood Duck are injured and marroned here in Brooklyn.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLOON1.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/CLOON2.JPG[/img]

This close crop from a separate image shows where the Loon is injured. Normally these birds winter in Brooklyn, and are the first birds to leave,usually in mid-April, so he's been here that long and also has his/hers, summer feathers. Other than that he seems quite healthy

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WDUCK1.JPG[/img]

As I was shooting the Loon, he swam right up to this Wood Duck who I actually couldn't see without my scope! The Wood Duck rarely enters sea water and nests and lives in fresh water. They never come to Brooklyn, except perhaps to stop briefly in one of the inland parks. This bird must have been injured while migrating North.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WDUCK2.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/WDUCK3.JPG[/img]

Unlike the Loon, who can at least expect the return of his kind next Winter, this Wood Duck is stuck here by itself for life. The two birdfs were not hanging out together, mere coincidence that I got a shot of the two together.

On a Cheerful note, this trip I found a Laughing Gull attached to some fishing line. After dropping my vest on the bird to protect myself from injury (no good deed goes unpunished), I was able to free it. I was going to take some pictures of my "captive" model, but I'm afraid I also freaked out when I noticed the bird was in bad shape from exhaustion and fear. I did take one picture which is not good enough to post. :O You would think that at least that one would turn out alright, but apparently I was too nervous about the birds health.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:14 PM   #2

just out of curiosity, what sort of lens were you using to pull in a bird that size so clearly from 5 football fields or more away? has to be at least 1000 mm or better, i'd think...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:32 PM   #3
DBB

Sorry. I always use the same equipment for every shot unless so stated. This doesn't do people who have arrived later any good...

I use a Swarovski Telescope, almost always with the 800mm adapter. This makes it 16 power. The full frame shots, none of which have been posted, the birds look to be abnout a hundred feet away - times 16 equals 1600 feet or almost a third of a mile.

The F stop is fixed - F10. I shoot with an ISO of 500 and the shutter speed varies with the light. The camera is the Nikon D2x.

In my opinion the Swarovski has better optics than any lens. The trade off being the fixed F stop and only manual focus. I took about a hundred pictures of these birds and did not post the worst, I have no idea why.

Once I took my eye off the Wood Duck, I couldn't find him again. Even the Loon, to the naked eye, was just a tiny blob.

dave
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

Whether accident or not, that shot with both birds together, knowing a bit of their history, is very attractive. I wish both of them all the best.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:37 AM   #5
DBB

In the "story with the happy ending deaprtment," the best I have was observed this Winter. I saw a Brant Goose with it's wing almost ripped off from a boat propeller. Nothing I could do. I would have tried to kill it if I could have....

Two months later, in April, I ran into the same bird, wing healing nicely, if you can call it that...

So it looked like he was going to live, but of course never fly again. The Brants leave late, and I thought this little guy would be on his own, when I found him again last week, with a mate - Some Female decided to stay with him no matter what!

dave