Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1

I went down to the osprey location this morning and spotted a pelican flying, so I looked up and saw a huge formation of them circling about a quarter mile away down river, and around the bend. I then spotted one floating by on it's way downstream. It was moving relatively fast as the floodwaters are still running through, but abating somewhat. I cut across land and chose a small trail to get down closer to the river, not anticipating what I found. I broke through the trees and saw what appeared to be snow. It was an extremely large group of pelicans sitting riverside. I wanted to get this one right because it was my very first experience with pelicans. I'll be posting a few more strings of these birds over the next week or so as I emptied a gigabyte or more on them before they decided to wander on.

First spotting of a flying pelican

Then I spotted one floating merrily down the river

I immediately changed priorities and wandered down to the river via a very small brush laden pathway that quickly turned into muck and grime (I was wearing chest-waders). This was my very first shot and you can see the blur of leaves as I poked my lens through the underbrush, hoping not to scare them all away:

I slowly moved as far from the leaves as I could in order to get a clean shot. My monopod was in the way (I hate restrictions) so I dropped it carefully in the muck and chose to handhold the 400/5.6 lens, using as fast a shutter as possible without boosting iso too high.

A closer crop from another photo of the same bird I believe:

These birds would sporadically take-off, circle, and land, while the remainder of the large group stood or sat by the shoreline, resting or preening, or both. Here are a few flight shots against a dark green backdrop of spruce and pine:

More will come as I return home and process the shots.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:36 PM   #2
DBB

:lol::-):lol: I'm glad I've never been so lucky. I have a weak heart and this would surely have laid me out.

The pictures are awesome, the story ain't bad either. I empathised so much that I forgot to be jealous. What really good shots. It is soooo good not to blow an opportunity like this!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:57 PM   #3

wow. those are very impressive. What really impresses me is that you didn't get big blown-outwhite pelicans that were just blobs of white. I can still see tons of deatails on the white feathers! so kudos on that aspect alone! Also i really like all of them especially #3 I believe with the 3 with one in focus. They're all very impressive shots though! They look VERY pro!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:39 PM   #4

Very nice work, Norm. We (supposedly) get the white pelican around here, but I've never been fortunate enough to see one. Of course, if I do see one, I would hope to have you beside me telling me all the little secrets of your amazing bird shots.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5

Thanks very much Dave and Dudette, I appreciate the especially nice compliments. I was definitely in the right place at the right time today. About 30 minutes later it started to rain, and rain, and it's still raining as I type. But all the photos are taken so let it rain.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:46 PM   #6

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Very nice work, Norm. We (supposedly) get the white pelican around here, but I've never been fortunate enough to see one. Of course, if I do see one, I would hope to have you beside me telling me all the little secrets of your amazing bird shots.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom, it was one of those lucky days. I got kicked out of a flood area so I took a different pathway down to the river and this gigantic mass of white was there to greet me. I have herd photos that I'll post another day that shows just how many birds there were. It was a treat. Thanks for the nice words.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:46 AM   #7
DBB

When you write this story up for a nature magazine, don't foget to include that these guys have a nine foot wingspan! They are immense!

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:13 PM   #8

Way to take full advantage of a marvelous opportunity, Norm. Superb shots, as usual.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 PM   #9

Thanks mullen, it was a nice experience. A wonderful half hour of my life.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:49 AM   #10

the last 3 are really nice the dark background accentuates the in-flight motion great pics
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote