Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:07 AM   #1

Shot using 100-400L and 400mmf5.6.

Went to see if the owl I saw last week was still there and I couldn't believe when he was sitting on same perch, like wiiating for me to show up. Got a chance to take lots of shots between chnages lenses and TCs. All through the passenger side of the open window of my car. All hand held, including the last one with 1.4xTC on 400mm.

400mmf5.6 wide open, 1/1600sec.

100-400 at f6.3, 1/500sec.

100-400 at f6.3, 1/1200sec.

400mmf5.6 wide open at 1/500 with tamron 1.4xTC. The lens couldn't focus if I moved just a bit forward.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:13 AM   #2
djb

Bobbyz, fantastic!!!! excellent shooting!!! wow!!! what an opportunity and you nailed it!!! great work!!! umm!!! but, i just have one little nit!!! try cloning the sensor dust spots out of the pictures. :-)

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:27 AM   #3

Great shots, bobby, and a very good idea to play with both lenses on this bird. Amazing that you were that close, close to 11 feet, from this bird. You could almost reach out and touch it.

Technically, I'm not surprised that both lenses are close, but the prime holds more detail from what I can see. As well, the prime with extender I'm sure would beat out the zoom by a long shot. I wish you had attached the extender to the zoom as well as the prime. In any event, these are super shots and you are a lucky guy to get 2 chances at this beauty. You have taken good advantage too.

PS - I always forget to clone out sensor spots. I call them freckles and anything with freckles has personality :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks Dennis and Normcar. The owl was funny, whenever I would poin my lens on him, he would move his head sideways and only look at me through one eye. If I put the lens down, he would look straight at me. He kept doing this all the time I was there. I was lucky to get some shots with him looking straight at me. This was on a road to a local preserve entrance. Then after some time, another car came and I had to move.

Yes, I need to clean my sensor. The CopperHill kit I bought is sitting there on the table, need to read instructions and just do it.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 4:12 PM   #5

Quote:
The owl was funny, whenever I would poin my lens on him, he would move his head sideways and only look at me through one eye. If I put the lens down, he would look straight at me.
Maybe he was simply trying to copy you, your lens appearing to him to be one large eye. Or, maybe the bird thinks you are another owl and it's trying to court you :G.

Or both.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:51 PM   #6

What a great opportunity, way to capitalize.

My favorite is the first shot. Man did you luck out finding a co-operative subject like this one!!!
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:33 AM   #7

Wonderful shots Bobby!!! What an oppurtunity! Wish I was as lucky!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:14 AM   #8

Thanks zoomn and woodmeister. From what I hearing from other folks is that these burrowing owls are quite tolerant of human presense. Yesterday during my lunch hr I went to the same place and this owl was standing there looking at me. Even when some jogger went by him, he didn't fly away.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:49 PM   #9

Yes burrowing owls, for whatever reason, are very tollerant. I'm not sure anyone knows why... but that is fine by me. I think they are cute little ones.

Nice captures of them. I really like their eyes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote