Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1

Lets start with the egret, who was doing fairly well hunting at high tide.

Then a little later, while watching another bird, movement caught my eye at the side of the water. What did we find, but a family of mink (I believe):

And on the drive out of the national part I saw something small and land by the side of the road. I turned out to be what I think is a least flycatcher. I shot out the car window, so it wasn't the most stable platform (gotta get myself a window beanbag) but I'm happy with the results:

Note that this shot is almost full frame. Here is the head of the bird:

If you look closely in the eye of the flycatcher, you'll see a dark blob with two little bumps on it. That is my car, with the bumps being the kayak racks on the top.

All were shot with the 20D and 600mm f4 + 1.4TC. The first two were on a tripod at f8 or so, ISO200 1/2500 or so shutter speed.
I didn't do much to in photoshop to any of them. A touch of contrast, reduce and sharpen. Nice when they come out well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 2:20 AM   #2

Wonderful shots, eric, just great.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:30 AM   #3

What norm said! Plus I love the mink shot. It's just plain cute!
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:14 AM   #4

Agree, beautiful shots!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5

Glad you all like them. I wish had had a good flycatch shot with the head facing left, but those shots weren't as sharp. Just the way it goes. I'm getting used to some new settings on my 20D, and I'm not all there yet.

I like the Mink's as well. I'd never seen them before, except years ago when I didn't have a camera. And I've certainly never seen a family before. I had some exposure comp dialed in when I shot it (for what I was waiting on before I saw them) and I was kinda lucky that the setting worked as well as it did for the minks. Sure, it blew out the background, but the minks are well exposed, and that is what really matters!

I just wish I'd had enough time to get a portrait shot. I think it would have worked better.

Eric
Old Jul 2, 2005, 1:10 AM   #6
djb

Eric, nice shots!!! was that my 1.4X TC you used?? if so, i get partial credit for all the shots!!!!:blah::blah::blah::blah: na na na na na!!!!!!! yup. look like mink to ne. the weasel family is one of my favorites but, have yet to see any for years now!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:55 PM   #7

All of these are great Eric. And I believe this is the first Mink I've seen in this Forum.

Nice regards

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:16 PM   #8

Glad you two like the pictures.

Actually, I think it might have been your TC.

I'm sorry to say that my TC is still broken, but not like it was when it really broke (and dropped my camera to the pavement.) Now it's just back to the way it was before the first repair. The locking switch doesn't lock on its own, but it does lock (and hold) when I push it with my thumb. Sigh. I don't think I dare send it back, considering the job the first time! And they've already said they won't replace it (which is what I really want.)

Glad you like the mink. The scarry thing is that I went out for a walk after hanging an exhibit for a friend and what did we bump into? The two most friendly mink I've ever seen. Literally, they were about 10 feet from us and didn't care. They looked at us, walked around in this bunch of piled branches (might have been their home?) and came out many times and looked directly at us. And better yet, there were 4 people there... sure, we were all quiet, but I was shocked!

djb, I doubt you could get to see them, but I saw the mink in the picture at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. You can actually do fairly well shooting from the car (as that least-flycatcher shows) and that egret was shot standing next to my car. So I bet you'd have fun. The mink today were way into a Mass Audubon property... there is really no way you could get there with your hips (right? Hips?)

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back tomorrow and see if I can find them again. It was truly amazing.

Eric
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:39 PM   #9

Terrific shots Eric. That's some park you visited. You had a wonderful trip didn't you? Keep 'em coming. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote