Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:53 PM   #1

Hi,

Well, I finally got what I think are some decent shots from my Bigma. The weather has been so cloudy here lately and the shots I managed were so fuzzy, I was beginning to think this lens was broken! These were taken using a monopod on a sunny day and while not as sharp as could have been using a tripod, I still like them. This lens is certainly a fair weather lens. Living in Western Washington, maybe not my best choice, but affordable. Well see.

...Ed

edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:32 PM   #2

Very nice.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:52 AM   #3

These are great shots, especially the first and last ones. You won't get many decent shots from any lens in poor weather and especially from a lens that has a minimum 6.3 aperture at full zoom. If you got these on a monopod then you're doing a pretty good job with that lens after only having it for awhile. Your lens is definitely not broken, as these shots demonstrate clearly. The more you use the lens the more you will discover it's fine points.

Case in point: I have some of the best lenses money can buy, all primes, and I've been watching a swallow's nest for the past two days. The lens that I find on my camera most of the time is the Bigma (handheld too, but at a shutter speed higher than 1/800 and if at all possible an aperture of F/8, which is the Bigma's sweet spot). I have it on my lens most of the time because it is so amazingly versatile and proffers good quality shots if used properly. I've been using it for over a year now and I believe that I use techniques that work with it.

I never use the Bigma in poor light weather and I almost never even photograph in that weather as one usually never gets anything worth keeping, unless they have a flash on the hotshoe.

Hang in there, these are good shots. It's a great lens but needs to be used properly and at the right times. In really poor light none of my lenses work well, except my 1.8 to 2.8 aperture lenses, and that's just a fact of life in photography. Slow lenses are to be used in decent lighting situations, period.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4

Hi Normcar and bmullen,
Thanks for the comments. Norm, thanks for the "sweet spot" tip I'll try to achieve that on my next outing. The first and last photos are more pleasing due to the smooth backgrounds? That is my opinion.
Both of you guys produce some amazing shots and have the bar raised so high! Some day I'll be half as good!

...Ed
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:01 AM   #5

Here's a sample of one of the shots that I took today with the Bigmaof some swallows that I'm watching. The chicks are just about ready to fly but have not yet flown. Iwas zooming in and out constantly and a prime lens just couldn't do the job as Ineeded to shoot wide angle to close up zoom in a matter of seconds in order to get the shots that I want. I used the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x extender on the Bigmaas welljust to see how it would perform in decent light. Here's one of the shots.

By the way, the Bigma shots were as good, or better, than the prime lens shots today. I used almost all of my primes along with the Bigma because I wanted to get as many different shots as I could.

At 500mm with Kenko 1.4x

Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

Hi,

Normcar, I think you could make ANY lens look good. Thank you for your comments, photo examples, and praise for the Bigma. I'm starting to feel pretty good about my "very expensive for me" lens.
Alas, it is cloudy again today! I think I should at least have one piece of "big glass' for days like these. :-)

...Ed
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:26 AM   #7

Ed, on a day when I couldn't use the 50-500 on tripod successfullyI wouldn't be able to use the other lenses too successfully either. If you really wish to shoot in poor weather and actually get something worthwhile you might consider getting a flash for your hotshoe and give yourself a fighting chance. If you pick up a fasterlens you will probably find that you are not that much farther ahead in poor weather. Poor weather is just not a good time to expect good photographs, no matter what you are using. Personally, on really poor days I never expect to get anything much worth keeping, so I use those as my practice days. If something comes of it, great, if not, well, I got some free practice.