Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:28 PM   #1

We are getting tropical storm winds from Dennis. I just looked out the computer room window and Zsa Zsa was hunkered down into the wind. I know she is spooked when she won't take food. Or maybe she was just afraid to turn around. So I just snapped her picture and left her alone.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:44 PM   #2

This is why Zsa Zsa is upset. You can see the eye in our local radar loop from Tampa. I'm near where the T is in TBH+, whatever that is.

Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:35 PM   #3

Looks like you guys are getting hammered! I've got a place in Bradenton, which looks like it is in big trouble right now.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Looks like you guys are getting hammered! I've got a place in Bradenton, which looks like it is in big trouble right now.

Bradenton did fine if it is the place near Tampa. We didn't even lose power here on the beach. I think everything that could blow down and take out the power lines came down last year. And I think Florida Power has become more aggressive about keeping things cleared. The wind was out of the east at its worst, and is now from the south. That jams water up the intercoastal but shouldn't bother Bradenton too much. It looks like you would need a west wind to cram the water into Bradenton.

The rough weather and high tides don't seem to have hindered the diving birds at all. The pelicans seem pretty active and this osprey did well. He (or she) is using the wind to dry his wings while he eats. Even the seagulls are active.

But there isn't much for the wading birds. The water was over my dock at dead low tide this morning and it is still pretty high. My heron, egret and snowy egret have been hanging around all day for handouts, but there isn't any fishing for them.

Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:33 PM   #5

I guess the osprey was hungry. He has been eating that fish for two hours. He usually just eats part of it and flies off with the bulk of it when his wings are dry. Presumably to share. He just now dropped the remains in the water and is doing a talon cleaning. He just flew off and dragged his feet in the water for 15 yards or so to clean them. I've never seen him do that because he is usually carrying the rest of the fish. Believe it or not he is still hunting. Hopefully to share this time. I can see the poles from my computer BTW.

This is the hungry gang in seniority order. That is Bubba in the lower left, with Zsa Zsa keeping her distance and Herbie on the canoe. It is just the opposite when I feed them. The heron doesn't like to be closer than 6 feet, so Zsa Zsa gets inside him and catches the food about 6 inches from my hand. Herbie will run over my feet to get the food.

Looks like I have some yard cleanup to do tomorrow.