Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:58 PM   #11

Wow Norm these are wonderful. Everything about them is just perfect. The background color, the color and sharpness of the bird. I love them.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:19 AM   #12

Thanks Houston, it's a pretty bird and I'm forever amazed at how it can rush about and fly with those long legs. This pond has probably about 30 or more and it's about the size of a baseball stadium.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:58 AM   #13

It will take awhile before I am that good.....really nice shots.
DigiTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:14 PM   #14
djb

Norm, that's a fairly small pond. With all that wildlife there I'm expecting great things from you as it seems that you can be very close to your subjects!!!:?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:17 PM   #15

Normcar these are shots to be proud of. Really exceptional.

The frozen action of the graceful poses really holds my eye. Love the look of these birds and you really captured these well.

You really have mastered the flight/action shots. Don't know how they could be much better.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:02 AM   #16

Thanks Digital, djb, and zoomin, real nice of you to keep on encouraging me with your more than generous words, it keeps me working on things that are sometimes frustrating, so believe me when I say it helps. If you guys could see the bad ones along with the few good ones that I sometimes post, you'd see that quite a bit of work still needs to be done, and any words like mastery are quickly brought into proper perspective. :lol:
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:18 PM   #17

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Digital, djb, and zoomin, real nice of you to keep on encouraging me with your more than generous words, it keeps me working on things that are sometimes frustrating, so believe me when I say it helps. If you guys could see the bad ones along with the few good ones that I sometimes post, you'd see that quite a bit of work still needs to be done, and any words like mastery are quickly brought into proper perspective. :lol:
Well, that does indeed update the perspective. We've all had the same learning experience, I'm sure, and can nod in agreement knowing how the ratio of keepers to sacrificed shotsadds up. It doesn't take away from the glory in your displays, and IMO, master...is a deserved pat on the back. Your posts are really nice shots, and they give me the relief I need after working hard to get similair results and staring at a mass of blurry feathers etc. at times when I review my shots. It really helps to see how well it can be done. Best regards,

KennethD

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:31 PM   #18

Awesome! You are good! I was wondering did you have the camera on a tripod? And is your lenses a IS version? Cause it's so clear! I can't imagine handholding it! Beautiful just beautiful! Oh, one more question, hope I didn't miss it, where are these shots taken at?
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:53 PM   #19

Thanks very much Ken and Frieda.

Ken, it's a real joy to know that my photos are providing some relief and pleasure to anyone, and that's all I need, personally, to know that they are playing some positive part in the daily life of someone, so I appreciate very much your comment.

Frieda, thanks for the interest. I rarely use a tripod but not because I don't think my shots would be technically better, only because I'm a very spontaneous person and a tripod or monopod often becomes a restriction to me so I attempt to compensate with high iso speeds of faster shutters. The lens that I used mostly for flight shots is not image stabalized, as IS is usually an advantage with slower shutter speeds rather than fast ones. I rarely shoot under 1/500th shutter or iso400. I also apply USM, or unsharp mask, to all of my shots and I'm not a beginner with post processing as I've been doing it for over a decade, using Paint Shop Pro. I do believe that processing plays an important part in fine tuning a shot. These shots were taken in Central Alberta, Canada, near a town called, Bashaw. Thanks again for your interest and comments.