Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:10 PM   #1

I shot this series of frames tonight of a Northern Shoveller landing. At the time the sun peeked out from dismal skies just for long enough to get a golden gleam on the duck as it landed. A while later the skies again turned grey, but it lasted long enough for these:

Shot with 400/5.6L with 1/2000th shutter

Getting the proper angle

Down Flaps

Hold 'er steady

Aaack, re-direct angle of attack

And...splashdown

Mission Accomplished

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2

nice shots norm, It has a really big beak.:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:10 AM   #3

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
nice shots norm, It has a really big beak.:!:
Thanks Julie. :-)Indeed, that's why they call it a shoveller, I assume. It has a mouth like a shovel and I've seen it at work. Not a lazy fellow at all.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:51 AM   #4

Great series of a sharp duckie Norm. Did you get all of these with one burst?

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:23 AM   #5

Great series Norm, as usual. Your in flight shooting skill is amazing. Has air defense command contacted you?
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:50 PM   #6

Houston wrote:
Quote:
Great series of a sharp duckie Norm. Did you get all of these with one burst?

Houston
Thanks Houston, I don't even use the burst mode much with the Mark II any more as I find that the first few shots are usually the best anyway, so I will burst about 2 and perhaps 3, but focus moreso on following focus with expanded spot focus to 7 points when shooting into the sky. I find it to be a huge advantage and I think the 20D has that feature. It provides an allowance for error, which is something that I really need most of the time :-). One need not be quite so accurate, but the only thing is, remember to return it to single point spot focus when shooting in trees and such. :lol: That's something that I have forgotten many times, and it's frustrating to say the least.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:55 PM   #7

Thanks Woodmeister, I'm happy with various combinations of equipment now, which is extremely satisfying to me since last year I went on a quest for gear that would workfor me in the area of shooting action, both sports and wildlife (but wildlife has taken control). I am now content with what I have and any error can now be attributed specifically to myself rather than equipment, which is refreshing...but it was also an extremely expensive venture, and I'm still licking my wounds. I feel that I'm now progressing rather than falling backwards, and it's a good feeling for a change. I appreciate the real nice compliment, thanks a whole bunch.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:49 PM   #8
djb

Norm, you're like the Everready rabbit!!! You keep on going with wonderful shots!!! I'm really starting to consider getting te 400/5.6 as 99% of my shots are at 400mm.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:27 PM   #9

djb wrote:
Quote:
Norm, you're like the Everready rabbit!!! You keep on going with wonderful shots!!! I'm really starting to consider getting te 400/5.6 as 99% of my shots are at 400mm.

dennis
Thanks dennis, on the Mark II body this lens works very well indeed. On other bodies I've heard extremely positive comments from other owners of the lens so it's a good bet that this lens will work well with either. I can honestly say, after using both 300 IS and 400/5.6, that for flight shots and any decent light shots or high iso shots I would reach for the 400. However, I like the 300 for what it can do, such as a decent macro and closer shots in low light. Just make sure that you really believe that you can accept the restriction of not being able to zoom in or out. If you trade in that 100-400 you will be stuck at 400, no matter what. I think you win either way, so whatever you choose will be an okay choice, IMO. You might think about first buying the 400, though, test both of them for a month or two, then sell the one that you never use, or use less. You'll probably end up keeping both, though.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 9:41 PM   #10
djb

Norm, thanx!!! if i do get the 400/5.6 (it's in the future, not right now), i would keep the 100-400mm. if i can ever truly manage to get out of debt a bit, i may just go for the 500/4. i hear it is hand holdable. and with a 1.4X TC the 500mm would still autofocus on my 20D. i'm also seriously starting to think about going back to strictly prime lenses (135/2, 200/2.8, 300/4, 400/5.6, & 500/4) for serious work and use my short zoom (28-135) for family stuff & the 100-400mm for short period shoots or when just meandering in the woods or somewhere that i will be on the move fairly constant. my only beef with the 100-400 is that it is slow focusing for in flight shots and the 20D my biggest nit is that when i use all 9 focus spots that it seems to only focus on the center spot (i pretty much use on ai servo mode which may be why?). anyway, thanx for the suggestions and it will surely be a few months before i drop a grand or more on a new lense. keep posting great shots and maybe you could show us some not so good shots once in a while so we all can feel better!!! :blah:

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote