Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:06 AM   #1

After a very long series of failed attempts to get a decent Blue Heron shot, I went out the other day and finally got one after a sneak attack. I noticed the bird from the road and parked at a farmer's entrance, then crept around to the area. It was swampy but the light was at my back and reeds gave me cover right up until I cracked a twig and the heron flew up to investigate, then took off, actually circled, had another look, and was gone.

These are large but there are only three this time so I hope it doesn't take too long to download

The above was a full frame shot so here is a crop (the heron was about 25 feet in front of me and I was holding the 400 with 1.4x extender attached:

One more

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:04 AM   #2

Beautiful shots Norm!! I like 3 because it sets off the bird so nicely. It's a shame the
sky wasn't bluer that day in the first shot, but great catch none the less.
woodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:19 AM   #3
DBB

Yes you nailed this guy!

Did you know that in the Middle ages they were considered a delicasy...? :lol:

I got this from a history book, not a nature book. The author casually remarks that "we've lost our taste for such strong fleshed birds."

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:03 PM   #4

absolutely amazing shots! i wish i could get a heron to cooperate like that!!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:18 AM   #5
djb

wow!!!!! just wow, Norm!!!! just wow!!! my dad told me a story about a neighbor. back in the 1940s or 1950s my friend's dad saw a GBH and shot it. he didn't know what it was but thought it might be tasty!! he brought it home, cleaned it, and his wife roasted the bird. after tasting the GBH they threw it away. said it tasted awful. it really had to be bad as he wa a hunter of all sorts of birds and game. me, i'd just rather shoot one with a camera and hope it comes out half as good as Norm's.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:47 AM   #6

Thanks y'all, it was a real treat for me, even though in it's entirety it lasted for about 10 seconds. I just got another one tonight from a reasonable distance so I guess once you open the jar, the candy becomes more available :G

I agree, woodmeister, it would be nice if the sky were bluer. I could probably do abit more gamma on it or darken it some still, bringing the blue out a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 1:17 AM   #7

Fantastic! My favorite is the one over the water.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8

Great job with your sneak attack Norm. The way he was looking at you, you should be glad you aren't a fish. Beautiful shots all. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #9

Thanks Woody and Mullen. Actually, Woody, I do believe this particular heron is slightly more startled than anything else. I really did fool this one good and it was so confused that it actually made a turn and began to fly directly at me for a moment, which is something I've never seen a heron do (photo below):

Attached Images