Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:51 PM   #1

Taken with a Canon 10D, 100mm, from about 10 metres. I was thankful for the image stabliliztion.
Joe Brazil
Attached Images

joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:07 PM   #2

If that was a wild bear in a non-fenced situation then you might consider being thanful for more than image stabalization. It could have been a serious matter if this bear had been one inclined to predation, and that sort of bear is on the increase from what I hear. Be careful if indeed this was a non-fence shot.

Thanks for sharing the shot but please be careful, bears can attack from that distance before you could get your camera down. :shock:
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the advise and concern and I think those who take pictures of bears should heed. The shot was taken from a slightly ajar cabin door. We had both a scare gun and a rifle at the ready. This fellow was a regular visitor to our research cabin. We shared the area with his favorite beach where he overturned rocks looking for crustaceans. Shortly after taking this photo we had to use the scare gun to frighten him away. He took an interest in our helicopter. After the scare he would run in the opposite direction whenever he saw us. Attached is a photo of the bear and the helicopter.
Joe
Attached Images

joenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:05 PM   #4

Ah! so he was the pilot then :-)

You are making some good images there :!:.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the new information, Joe, I was a touch concerned but it sounds like you've got the matter under good, safe control. Great shot of the bear pilot. It looks like he's waiting for you all to climb on in before he takes off. :G
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:57 PM   #6

He's a beauty!! (she?) I love it when every now and then I get the chance to snap these guys. This one looks healthy and well fed. A N D nice size too. Well done. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote