Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:56 PM   #1
DBB

These are not great pictures, on the other hand, the light was weak, it was at dawn, and I was shooting at the fastest speed I could 1/100.

This guy was skimming the marsh at LOW TIDE, and for those who wanted to know what happens when they hit a rock with their beaks - here's the special neck joint in action - He never even slowed down...

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/SKIMMER7.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/SKIMMER8.JPG[/img]

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:36 PM   #2

Nice captures, but really dissappointing. I was the one who asked about them crashing and I'm going to pretend I never seen these and continue to laugh at their crashes I see in my head.:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 9:42 AM   #3
DBB

It seems to be something they exect to happen. the action is so fast, and they simply ignore, what would at least give you and I the thought; "last time I do this in shallow water."

I'm going to try again for these guys, and with a little help from the sun, might get some good shots...

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

They are very interesting shots Dave. And under the circumstances, not too shabby. I now see exactly how the neck of the Skimmer handles unmoveable objects. Always enjoy viewing your work. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:41 PM   #5
DBB

I'm actually proud of these shots - but how can I show them?

They look, by objective standards like failures...:shock:

Still, I like to post here without worrying about JUST issues of quality - I've seen this before, it doesn't happen that often, and these birds are so strange - so unique!

They don't look for fish, they feed JUST from feel, they are so well adapted to "skimming" that even at 1/100 it's possible to see how they position themselves a few inches from the water, and maintain that, no matter what happens.

dave
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:44 PM   #6

Ouch!

Ok, maybe you didn't have the conditions for great shots Dave, but you did capture some great behavioral images. These birds obviously have shock absorbing internal framework!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:21 AM   #7

Wow, nice catch. I could feel that one in my own mouth. Interesting stuff, dave, and glad you decided to post the shot. I had never even thought about that and I've seen a pile of these birds in action shots lately but never thought about them hitting a rock with that enormous bill.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:11 AM   #8
DBB

They make absolutely no use of vision. They simply skim the surface blind. Without that trick that they pull - Well, not to many would reproduce. :lol:

Dave