Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:22 AM   #11

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Give that other adjustment a bash as well [the Parameter settings on the Menu of the 20D, go to "Set 1,2 or 3" and change the contrast of any one of them to quite low, leaving the saturation and sharpness up [Others might have other ideas, I just found that with my 20d and 100-400 in jpeg mode, this gives a more balanced expoure]
Thanks a bunch Jake. Now, once I lower the contrast on one of them will I still need to use minus exposure comp or just less of it.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the next to last photo and edited it in PSE2 and here it is:

The above was a result of a very quick edit (about 10 minutes) and isn't meant to be perfect, but just to illustrate what you can do.

I selected just the woodstork - you'll notice my selection was rushed and not perfect by looking down near the legs where things start getting a bit fuzzy. Then I inverted the selection so that everything but the woodstork was selected, feathering the selection by 3 pixels. I added a levels adjustment layer using the selection as the layer mask and adjusted levels of the elements other than the stork. Then I once again selected just the stork and applied local contrast enhancement (just USM at settings of 10-20/60/0). Then, I also sharpened using the same selection mask meaning that only the stork would be sharpened and not the BG or water. Finally, I cloned out the stick passing in front of the stork so that it instead looked like it was passing behind the stork. 10 minutes of work. To do it right on the original resolution picture probably would take 2-3 times that amount of time.

There's a lot of subjectivity involved in that what looks better to some people might look worse to others. So, is my rendition of your image more or less pleasing in your eyes?
This absolutely more pleasing to me Geoffs. I really appreciate your taking the time to work on it and explain what you did. Not sure I can do all that but I'm sure going to try. My only problem is time but I guess most everyone else has that problem also if they are still working. I don't think Normcar is, do you.
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Now, once I lower the contrast on one of them will I still need to use minus exposure comp or just less of it

Houston, I think it's just a matter of try and see - I was finding the contrasts on my jpeg mode too much [shadows too dark and highlights blown], and with the contrast set down, it has improved the balancea fair bit overall, though I think each situation will still need to be assessed in it's own merit and the metering adjusted accordingly. Raw mode is different cause you have quite a lot to pay with in post-shoot processing.

Regards
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:57 PM   #14

I really enjoyed viewing these, Houston. Great job!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote