Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:04 AM   #11

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Excellent work. You da man!
No, I ain't da man, I learn from da man. :-)

And what do you mean, eat some worms. You produce a lot better stuff than me most of the time. I just have a good day once in a while. Others are saying that the ones with the sky bg are dark soI will have to try your "Bash" on my next excursion.

Thanks Jake
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:15 AM   #12

Normcar wrote:
Quote:
Houston, Houston, Houston, these are magnificent. Excellent work. You da man!
Thanks Norm. Coming from you this really gives my ego a boost. :-D I've sure learned a lot from you andcountlessothers on this forum. But this was just a good day and I know that it wont happen every time.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:08 PM   #13

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Houston. I agree, the ones with sky bg look quite dark on my LCD. I just calibrated this monitor but they still look dark. The ones with trees in the bg look better.

What I have seen is that I don't need much -EV when using partial metering when shooting egrets. I do use RAW btw.
Thanks for looking in Bobbyz.I also thought they still looked a little dark when I got thru with them but with my limited knowledge of PS2 I was beginning to blow the white when trying to get any lighter. I'm still working on that problem. Jake has suggested something that I'll try on my next outing. Also I still have my first shot to take in RAW so I'll have to give that a try.

Regards
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:17 PM   #14
DBB

They're WONDERFUL shots. I hate to be picky, picky, picky (actually I love being picky, but that's another story)

The Title should be Egrets not Great Egrets, or what the heck are the Snowy's doing there?!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:15 PM   #15

Yes, they look like a snowy egret to me too. The difference is that the great have black feet and the snowy's have yellow. There are some other minor differences , but they are very similar. Did you notice the little blue heron in picture #4 (at least I think it is a little blue). Did you get any pictures of that one alone? These were awesome pictures to view. My mouth dropped, like, to the floor when I saw them. egrets are SOOooooo graceful. The pictures are excellent. I don't think they could have been better. I didn't think the first few shots were too dark at all on my computer screen. I think if they were too much lighter, it might have blown out the white too much. wonderful shots! -BQ
bmullensBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:19 PM   #16

DBB wrote:
Quote:
The Title should be Egrets not Great Egrets, or what the heck are the Snowy's doing there?!

Dave
:PMy gosh dave, I was so excited about getting some fairly decent flight shots that I hadn't even noticed that the last ones were snowy's. But if you want to get right on down to it the title might well have been egrets and heron as there's a little blue in the bottom of #4. :blah:

Regards
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:45 PM   #17

bmullensBQ wrote:
Quote:
Yes, they look like a snowy egret to me too. The difference is that the great have black feet and the snowy's have yellow. There are some other minor differences , but they are very similar. Did you notice the little blue heron in picture #4 (at least I think it is a little blue). Did you get any pictures of that one alone? These were awesome pictures to view. My mouth dropped, like, to the floor when I saw them. egrets are SOOooooo graceful. The pictures are excellent. I don't think they could have been better. I didn't think the first few shots were too dark at all on my computer screen. I think if they were too much lighter, it might have blown out the white too much. wonderful shots! -BQ
If you people keep on I wont be able to get my hat on cause my head will be too big. I did notice that the ones in the sky looked a whole lot better on my home monitor than they did on my monitor at work but they were still a little dark and I'm working on it. BTW from what I've learned about the egrets their beak and feet are just opposite in color. And yes I did notice the Little Blue. There were several of them around that day but I was having hard enough time getting what I wanted without having to change camera settings to get the others that were not white. These shots were taken at the low end of a field that joined the swampy area of the woods in the bg. We had been having a lot of rain and there was a lot of water standing in that area which made an excellent feeding area for the birds. On this particular day when I got out of my truck I saw Ducks, GBH's, Little Blue's, Wood Storks, Great and Snowy Egrets and some other smaller birds that I've yet to identify and they all took flight at the same time. But I waited them out and slowly but surely they began to return. To my delight..............

Thanks for your very nice comment BQ.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:58 PM   #18

Houston - These are wonderful!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:17 AM   #19
DBB

Houston wrote:
Quote:
bmullensBQ wrote:
Quote:
If you people keep on I wont be able to get my hat on cause my head will be too big. I did notice that the ones in the sky looked a whole lot better on my home monitor than they did on my monitor at work but they were still a little dark and I'm working on it. BTW from what I've learned about the egrets their beak and feet are just opposite in color. And yes I did notice the Little Blue. There were several of them around that day but I was having hard enough time getting what I wanted without having to change camera settings to get the others that were not white. These shots were taken at the low end of a field that joined the swampy area of the woods in the bg. We had been having a lot of rain and there was a lot of water standing in that area which made an excellent feeding area for the birds. On this particular day when I got out of my truck I saw Ducks, GBH's, Little Blue's, Wood Storks, Great and Snowy Egrets and some other smaller birds that I've yet to identify and they all took flight at the same time. But I waited them out and slowly but surely they began to return. To my delight..............

How I cheat!

When I have an Egret and one of the darker birds in the same frame, I process it twice, once for the Egret, once for the dark bird - I then copy the dark bird (or the Egret), into the other picture. I know, I know - it's cheating - but they did it in the age of film as well....:lol:

Dave
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:17 AM   #20
DBB

Houston wrote:
Quote:
bmullensBQ wrote:
Quote:

How I cheat!

When I have an Egret and one of the darker birds in the same frame, I process it twice, once for the Egret, once for the dark bird - I then copy the dark bird (or the Egret), into the other picture. I know, I know - it's cheating - but they did it in the age of film as well....:lol:

Dave