Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1

I went back to the Immature Waxwing location and found them again. The rain was falling and the sky was completely grey, so I shot with the 300 IS at low shutter speeds and higher ISO speed, and used flash only for the first feeding frenzy. I didn't think the birds would hang around for as long if I continued to flash so all remaining shots were done without flash (this wasn't because I noticed any stress on the birds, only because I felt that it would be more natural if I didn't use one). I believe that this particular posting was the feeding frenzy where flash was used but cannot be certain as I have not yet downloaded the other feeding frenzy shots. I've posted a definite non-flash still shot to show that the 300 worked fine without it as long as the birds were not moving fast, as in a feeding.

PS - The sky was grey and it rained all day until the very last moments of my shoot, when the sun peeked out and I began to wallow in frustration at the fact that it didn't arrive sooner. Then the birds flew high into the trees. I now believe that they were low because of the rain, and the grey sky was really a shot of good luck, since the birds came down lower for shelter (My interpretation only):

Battle of the berry

Winner

More berry big battles

Note poor mom in the background. An interesting thing is how the mother seemed to swallow the berries and then regurgitate them for the kids, sort of coughing them up, one at a time, until empty

Sharing, something that waxwings do best

A kiss for mom

No flash used

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:55 AM   #2

Awesome shots, they look like very demanding babies:-)That last shot looks as if you were spotted.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

These shots are incredible. Very nice! I think the one shot without the flash is one of my favories. I also like the one with the adult in the backround holding a berry in its mouth. These were great- BQ
bmullensBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4

Very nice series. Bad weather helped in this case.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

These shots were amazing! Talk about being at the right place at the right time....and your are a photographer with huge amount of talent. Thanks so much for sharing this series of pictures, they are truely wonderful. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:38 PM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shots, they look like very demanding babies:-)That last shot looks as if you were spotted.

Thanks, Julie, these little ones knew very well that I was present as I was within 3 meters of them, in clear sight. That's one of the reasons I feel quite privileged to have been allowed to enter so close to their space without them taking flight. Actually, I think it had a lot to do with the rain, they were somewhat forced to remain low in the trees to keep away from the weather.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:40 PM   #7

Thanks mullen, bobby, and bentleys mom for the real generous compliments, glad you like the photos, I sure enjoyed taking them but was constantly complaining to myself about the weather. What else is new, huh.