Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

Hi, I was going through some of my pictures.....trying to organize them.....and I found this picture of the hawks that live in our back yard. I think that this is a young one. I'm sorry that this picture is not better.....It's cropped a huge amount....anyway do you all know what kind of hawk this is? I can't find him in my book... Thanks for any information.. bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:23 PM   #2

Hi,

good composition and good shot too. I have never taken apicture of any bird. How far were you from him?

jp80
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:10 PM   #3
DBB

Very nice shot - that this is cropped is just icing on the cake...

I believe it to be a juvenile Coopers Hawk, but it might be a young Red tail...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 7:46 PM   #4

Dave, I think that you may be right about the Coopers Hawk. They are definitely native to this area. I don't remember how far away I was when I took this picture....I wasn't close enough....There were three nest in the trees behind us this past year. The nest were about 75 to 100 feet up. Do you think that they will come back and have more babies......don't they keep coming back to the same places every year? Maybe I'll look into a dslr for next year instead of my fz5...lol.... Thanks for taking the time to identify him. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5
DBB

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Dave, I think that you may be right about the Coopers Hawk. They are definitely native to this area. I don't remember how far away I was when I took this picture....I wasn't close enough....There were three nest in the trees behind us this past year. The nest were about 75 to 100 feet up. Do you think that they will come back and have more babies......don't they keep coming back to the same places every year? Maybe I'll look into a dslr for next year instead of my fz5...lol.... Thanks for taking the time to identify him. bentleysmom
Red Tails tend to come back year after year, I really can't say about Coopers...

It's really a nice shot!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:39 PM   #6

Depending on it's size, it could also be a juvenile sharp-shinned, too. The sharp-shinned are smaller than the coopers. Nice capture BTW.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote