Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:55 AM   #1

Hi,

I have sent this picture into many competitions (picture of the day and so on) but without success.For methis is one of my best picture I have ever taken - because of the composition; it´s funny .... . Do you find this motive boring? I would like to hear your comments or tips.

thank you

jp80 www.metlive.szm.com/nature.htm

Attached Images

jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:39 AM   #2

Well, I like it however for competions perhaps you could crop it just a bit to take out the boats. This will allow you to focus more on the duck, the water and the greenery around it. Just crop from the top and see if you like the change.

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:30 AM   #3
DBB

From a framing point of view, this is a wonderful image. I assume that you are showing us the world as the duck would see it. If this is your idea (and actually, since I read minds, am psychic, and have just got out of drug rehab) and I'm pretty sure it is - It's a great image - BUT

From a technical photographic point of view it is not of the highest quality.

It's a GOOD quality image, but not of the quality that win contests.

Framing is half of photography,you now have to hone your technical skills.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:59 AM   #4

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
Well, I like it however for competions perhaps you could crop it just a bit to take out the boats. This will allow you to focus more on the duck, the water and the greenery around it. Just crop from the top and see if you like the change.

Rose
Hi Rose, thank you for your comment. I agree that the background is a little bit disturbing but without it the duck would be very lonely and the space would be very limited. I wanted also to show the life on the lake that there are ships and so on. But I will try to cut it away and ask myself and friends if they like it more or less. For me it´s important that there are also side objects (in this case the ship) on the picture

I am very grateful for your comment.

jp80
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

DBB wrote:
Quote:
From a framing point of view, this is a wonderful image. I assume that you are showing us the world as the duck would see it. If this is your idea (and actually, since I read minds, am psychic, and have just got out of drug rehab) and I'm pretty sure it is - It's a great image - BUT

From a technical photographic point of view it is not of the highest quality.

It's a GOOD quality image, but not of the quality that win contests.

Framing is half of photography,you now have to hone your technical skills.

Dave

Thanx Dave for your comment and advice. Yes, when I take a picture of a dog, cat, duck or any animal- except a bird :GI try to show the world as if from their perspective. I lay on the floor or whatever to avoid the human perspective.

This picture was reduced in quality. The original size is 2272 - 1704 and I think that in this resolution it is also enough sharp. I agree with you that a photo should fulfil more conditions like composition, tehnical quality etc to be excelent and win contents

thank you again for your ideas.

jp80
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6
DBB

Remember - I said it's technically GOOD, but not a contest winner.

Your ideas on looking at life from the animals point of view, are, as this photo demonstrates, are successful.

I really got that feeling from this shot. It's as if the duck is emerging from IT'S reality and see's this human world in surprise! Well done!!!!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote