Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

I was told about a hawk that frequented a country road here and it allowed the farmers to get pretty close, so I went to investigate. The source claimed that the hawk didn't seem to worry too much about people being around, and, having experience with hawks I was a bit surprised at this statement, so decided to investigate. They were right on, and I have a couple of gigabytes of photos to prove the fact. I chose these 3 to introduce the hawk series. My car is in the background in the last one in order to show how this immature hawk has not yet learned to fear people.

PS - I am assuming that this is an immature, please correct me if I am wrong, thanks.

Technical (edit): these were shot with the 300/4 IS but I also used the 400/5.6 for a number of shots today. However, the ones posted are the 300 without extenders.
The eyelids are closed in this first shot

Better eyeballs here

Perspective on the shots (my country road car in the background)

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:43 PM   #2

Fabulous, Norm! Looking forward to more.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:50 PM   #3

Beautiful shots Norm. The detail is amazing.

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4

Nice shots Norm, and the car looks cool too, a red one too, you know red cars go faster
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 6:19 PM   #5

Very cool shots Norm, looks like you were able to get pretty close and get in a good position to get some good colored bg's that match great. Should have used f16 to get that hot rod 96(?) Pontiac Grand Prix in focus, made that hawk look like a hood ornament.:blah:Great shots, as we have come to expect!!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 8:45 PM   #6

Thanks very much, as usual, to you people who keep checking out my photos and leaving very nice responses that are somewhat humbling, but I sure enjoy reading them :-).

It appears that my car has gleaned just as much attention as the bird in this series, he he. It's a good summer car but it's a '93 Grand Prix, one of the ones with those ridiculous door handles on the side frame of the window. They break every winter on me. Have you ever had a car that you couldn't get into to drive, even though it runs well? It's quite frustrating when both door handles break off and you're late for work (not that I'm ever late for work :G:G)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote