Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1

Hi All - My wife and I have just spent 17 MARVELLOUS days in the heart of the African Jungle - [sort of]. I will attempt to not submit pics of plain ol' animals, but rather some with a bit of expression, and with photographic integrity rather than snapshot style.

Although the KNP is really a great place to shoot wildlife [with a camera of course],I must say that I have learned to respect pro wildlife photographersa lot more in realising the amazing amount of patience, resilience, cool headedness, nerves of steel, lightning fast reactions and all the rest that goes with the trade. It is not easy to take GOOD shots [IE: not snapshots], because of the moments that come and thenare gone in a flash [and you can't tell the beast to get back and pose again !!]

And of course, the unwritten code of the bush - "There shall always be a stick, branch, blade of grass, leaf, or similar object between the subject and the photographer, until the lens or CF card is being changed, whereon all things will be perfect for theshot of a lifetime, until the camera is back in action, at which time, the grass and the other objects WILL reappear, or the animal or bird will have flown the coop"

If you guys get bored with the stuff, just give me a loud hint

Warm regards [Summer has hit, with temps of 36]

Hey, wassup dude ??

Nothing much, just hangin around

Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2

Man, I gotta stop eating these marula berries, they'vegiven me a real banger of a head !!

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:51 PM   #3

Dental flossing, Jungle style

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4

You say I licked the cream, huh, what makes you say that ?? [a youngKudu cow, a real beauty of an antelope, old or young]

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5

I SAW YOU with my big bright eyes !! [so says a littleScops owlet ( hoo should have been sleeping) the second smallest owl in the region - about 18 cm length]

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6

Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:03 PM   #7

Best way is to have your own supply, at home or on the road

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:10 PM   #8

I think I'll stay right here where I feel the safest !!

This young girraffe had an enormous amount of energy, when we came upon it, it was scampering around, kicking up it's heels and darting off at FULL speed through the bush [Did I get any pics of the action ?-NO - by the time we had pulled up in a place to get clear shots, it had decided to join up with mommy and act as all good children do when they're being watched]
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:46 PM   #9

I would have been proud to have made captures like that! Great shots.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:48 PM   #10
DBB

Nice shots Jake. I appreciate all your comments about photographers, especially the "nerves of Steel." Many times facing an out of control "Bull" Mockingbird, I've had to hold my heart in my hands to keep from shaking.

But let me make one correction:

You wrote:
"And of course, the unwritten code of the bush - "There shall always be a stick, branch, blade of grass, leaf, or similar object between the subject and the photographer"

In the resulting photograph, I always refer to these obstructions as "filters." Thus, shooting through eel grass, I am using a "green" filter, ect.

Your shots on the other hand, do not require the kind of raw guts as does shooting one of our more massive birds of the beach - even so - Awesome job.

Come to Brooklyn and I'll introduce you to the spectacular "Brooklyn Bunny," a creature much larger than any Bunny anywhere.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote