Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1

One wonderful thing about fall is the color. Even when winter snow is coming, we up north are graced with something wonderful prior to the onslaught. I focused on fall color using 3 lenses tonight, the 135/2, the 300/4L, and the 200/1.8L, all with flash as the shots were taken in very dim light (it was raining) and right before sunset, even though the sun was nowhere in sight. I have indicated what lens in the photos themselves, if anyone is interested in the technical stuff. Thanks for visiting:

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:51 AM   #2

Norm, you've captured the colors and birds exquisitely.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

Hi Norm, I hope these appear in your next publication !!

I particularly enjoy [more than the rest] the first pic, not onlybecause of the close crop, but the DOF is perfect with the focus on the light in eye. Really great work !!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:50 AM   #4

I love that you presented the chickadee with 3 different lenses, Norm. It really enables one to compare how they perform on real-world subjects. Perhaps I'm biased (as I own the 300 f4 + 1.4x combo but not the other lenses you used) but the images taken with the 300 seem to have the best look and feel to me - perhaps it's just my imagination. That said, I'll contradict myself and say that I like #4 the most because the chickadee is shown off so well in its habitat.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:14 PM   #5

Good job again Norm! If you don't mind me asking, what flash are you using?

Thanks
//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:02 PM   #6

Beauties Norm. You really do an outstanding job on these little guys. I was shooting some of the little fellas yesterday and they are cute as heck. I'll post some of minelater.....Cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks jake, geoff, jim and kman, you guys are very generous with your nice compliments, and I thank you very much indeed.

Geoff, the 300 is a dynamo for sure.

Jim, i used a 550 canon flash, no beamer as I'm too lazy to struggle with the strap on that tool :G. My compensation was from -1/3 to -1, depending on distance.

Thanks again, all.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:39 AM   #8

Norm, are you using any hide or feeding these birds? The one with 135mm shows that you were real close. I like all these shots but the first one is best IMHO. He/she seems to be ready for the winter.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:19 PM   #9

I especially love the 4th pic. Somehow the red leaves in the background enhance the black and white of the little birdie and make him stand out. The 3rd pic is stunning. I just love the sharpness of hislittle fluffyfeathers and the life in his eyes, as though he is taking a look at you.

Jakes Wild Grass Bird
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:40 PM   #10

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Norm, are you using any hide or feeding these birds? The one with 135mm shows that you were real close. I like all these shots but the first one is best IMHO. He/she seems to be ready for the winter.
I appreciate you noticing that, bobby, as it was quite a unique experience that day. I was shooting with all of these lenses, then locked in the 135 to see what I could get as it was getting quite dark and I had forgotten my extension tubes for the 200, so I couldn't focus close enough with it, thus the need to go to the 135. As soon as I locked the lens in that little bird stopped immediately in front of me, so close that I could reach out and touch it. That has happened many times with chickadees, but this one didn't take off. It simply sat there watching me, for at least a minute, and didn't budge. That was one unique moment for me as the chickadees get close, yes, but never for very long. This happened twice that night and it was pretty cool. I kept walking closer and closer and closer, shooting away, and it didn't budge. I had to stop because I had reached my limit of focus. I'm sure that I could have used a 50mm on this one, had I had one bayonetted on my cam. Neat experience.