Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:29 PM   #1
DBB

This series, shot at dawn, is made possible by my new (actually I just never used it) 1100mm adapter for my Swarovski 'Scope. I am stunned by the resolving power. These shots are from a good half mile away.

The series, which was actually an argument on dibs for a good spot to fish, I at first thought was an argument over a good spot to fish. Then I switched to thinking they were just playing - They do that you know.

But I'm back to thinking it was a fight.

The Sea Gull was not impressed.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/EGPLAY0.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/EGPLAY1.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/EGPLAY3.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/EGPLAY4.JPG[/img]

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:35 PM   #2

Dave, It's amazing that you were so far away and got shots like that. Your white birds are so detailed.....something that I need to learn....I posted a series for you of my arguing Egrets.....If only I had your expertise and more experience....Thanks for sharing. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:45 PM   #3

Those are quite the shots Dave from that kind of distance. I could have used your scope setup yesterday as I stopped at a NWR on the way home from the coast and the viewing stand was probably that distance from the sloughs where there were plenty of egrets. Needless to say, my lens couldn't "pull" 'em in.

Nice little capture of some egret interaction. They can be a bit pugnacious at times.

BTW, is the darkening at the edges due to vignetting with your new setup or is it just the scene?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:07 PM   #4
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Those are quite the shots Dave from that kind of distance. I could have used your scope setup yesterday as I stopped at a NWR on the way home from the coast and the viewing stand was probably that distance from the sloughs where there were plenty of egrets. Needless to say, my lens couldn't "pull" 'em in.

Nice little capture of some egret interaction. They can be a bit pugnacious at times.

BTW, is the darkening at the edges due to vignetting with your new setup or is it just the scene?
I'm amazed with the 1100mm adapter. This means 22 power, but it's has better resolving power than the 800, more detail...

The darkening is not vigneting - they are almost under a Bridge, a six lane highway...:lol:

When I first got this rig, I simply couldn't use the 1100, so I spent a year with the 800 and now feel comfortable, and decided to give that extra power another shot - I find that I'm just just fine with it. Now all I have to do is find alll the birds, who have decamped, now that they now I'm ready for them.

Of course it's F13...

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:17 PM   #5

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Of course it's F13...
Sounds like it could work well in the southwest or in Florida where you get some really nice bright days! :lol:

It would work so few days of the year for me in Oregon that it's not worth my putting out money for something like that...
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:50 PM   #6
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:
Of course it's F13...
Sounds like it could work well in the southwest or in Florida where you get some really nice bright days! :lol:

It would work so few days of the year for me in Oregon that it's not worth my putting out money for something like that...
New York is sunny two out of three days. Now if only the weatherman was accurate....

It was cloudy this morning and I was shooting at 1/20. Would you believe that the images were blurry?

But I've taken a bold step, and punched the ISO up to 800. I've found that while 800 produces noise, this is ONLY the case if the image is underexposed. So my blurry pictures, all of which I'm about to post (just kidding) were noise free, if otherwise incapacitated....

Dave

PS. I shouold add that the Egret Shots, (ISO 400) were done at 160
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:55 PM   #7

DBB wrote:
Quote:
But I've taken a bold step, and punched the ISO up to 800. I've found that while 800 produces noise, this is ONLY the case if the image is underexposed.
Good exposure is always the key. I've salvaged (or tried to) many photos that were under- or over-exposed at high iso and the extreme processing necessary to make them presentable always presents the problem of showing up the noise.

Technology giveth and it taketh away also...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:06 AM   #8
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
DBB wrote:
Quote:
But I've taken a bold step, and punched the ISO up to 800. I've found that while 800 produces noise, this is ONLY the case if the image is underexposed.
Good exposure is always the key. I've salvaged (or tried to) many photos that were under- or over-exposed at high iso and the extreme processing necessary to make them presentable always presents the problem of showing up the noise.

Technology giveth and it taketh away also...
Well, I've studied for years to be a professional idiot. It's not as easy as it sounds, despite the tremendous evidence to the contrary. So I put away my battery of lenses, and switched to the Swarovski. I like the reach...

Well, it's low speed shooting, and it teaches you a steady hand. And I am stubborn...

And manual focus and manual light. And I HATE noise and I get noise, because I'm always pushing the film...

Well, you can underexpose with ISO 400 and patch things up. But you can't patch up an ISO 800 shot. Not if it's underexposed. You lose too much detail. Anyway, I'm used to the 800mm and could in bright light shoot at 800 or even a thousand. But not so with the 1100, but, this is a new camera for me, the D2x, and it has one good and one bad charateristic.

1. It doesn't make much noise at 800 if the light is RIGHT! The D1x did make noise at 800, no matter what the light. So, I'm adjusting.

and 2, it makes a tremendous amount of noise if you are underexposed. The D1x did not allow the use of metering with the Swarovski, the D2x does, and it turns out to be very handy.

Give me a few more months to use this combination...

Dave