Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
DBB

These pictures were all taken at the crack of dawn. The first is of a "normal" Blue Heron, (whatever normal means) and was taken about 15 minutes before the others. While all these birds differ from individual to individual, he has a more typical sillouette

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUDAWN1.JPG[/img]

These three images, taken near dawn, 400 ISO, 1/100 hand held, are of the most massive Great Blue I have ever seen. This guy can crack walnuts with his theighs.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUDAWN6.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUDAWN7.JPG[/img]

I got very lucky with this last shot, taken at 1/250, which is way to slow, but look at those pecks! He should go for the Olympics!

Dave

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUDAWN9.JPG[/img]
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:52 PM   #2

Wow Dave, #3 is nice and that is one muscle bound bird. I've seen lots of them but nothing like that one before.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3

I wonder if he can shoot a basketball? Great captures.

!
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:30 PM   #4

Haha - that sucker sure does have some amazing thighs on him! :shock:Bet he could deliver quite a kick, Dave, but don't get close enough to let him try it...

As for me, while all are fine shots, I think I like the first shot the most. I'm kind of a sucker for silhouetted birds against expanses of water. For example (and I hope you don't mind me throwing one of my own shots into your thread, Dave), this shot I took several years ago - it's not the best shot but illustrates what I mean:

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:13 AM   #5

Great shots, dave, you make perfect use of the early morning light on these.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
DBB

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Haha - that sucker sure does have some amazing thighs on him! :shock: Bet he could deliver quite a kick, Dave, but don't get close enough to let him try it...

As for me, while all are fine shots, I think I like the first shot the most. I'm kind of a sucker for silhouetted birds against expanses of water. For example (and I hope you don't mind me throwing one of my own shots into your thread, Dave), this shot I took several years ago - it's not the best shot but illustrates what I mean:

I've never seen such a massvie bird - never. Even my photographs don't do him justice. I was originally going to title this thread "Sumo Great Blue," but then I figured all the fight fans would tune in.

As for posting that really nice shot in my thread - just thank your lucky stars that I didn't post any pictures of my cousin in your vulture thread.

And thanks Norm. I have no choice with the light. Someday, I will over-sleep and shoot later on in the day.

Dave
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:35 PM   #7

Hey Dave, nice of you to share your thug with us . I agree, the lighting does make the pics, esp with the water. You gonna have tokeep on getting up early to get some more of these.

BTW, how BIG is a GBH [weight, length, wingspan] We have a rather large heron here called a Goliath - I have a few pics of him, unfortunatly none as nice as yours, they're just plain 'ol heron doing nothing. The specs in my bird book put it as : Length - 140cm, Wingspan - 630cm, Weight - 4350g [ Isuppose you'll have to convert that to feet'n inches and pounds

{thanks for the pics)

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:02 PM   #8
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Hey Dave, nice of you to share your thug with us . I agree, the lighting does make the pics, esp with the water. You gonna have to keep on getting up early to get some more of these.

BTW, how BIG is a GBH [weight, length, wingspan] We have a rather large heron here called a Goliath - I have a few pics of him, unfortunatly none as nice as yours, they're just plain 'ol heron doing nothing. The specs in my bird book put it as : Length - 140cm, Wingspan - 630cm, Weight - 4350g [ Isuppose you'll have to convert that to feet'n inches and pounds

{thanks for the pics)

Oh I do believe your guy is bigger. The Great Blue is 48 inches long with a 6 foot wing span, whereas your bird has a 21 foot wing span, which makes your bird, the largest flying animal since the ptyerodactyl...:lol:

This guy was bigger than average in ALL respects. These birds nest on the offshore islands, and about this time of the year move into the marsh's I inhabit. I expect to see him again. I will bring a ruller and a scale and give you an exact breakdown on his size. In New York, these birds well understand the importance of money - so it wont be a problem.

These birds have one other interesting habit. Some of them simply don't migrate. Last winter I photographed one fishing through the ice - not something that you would expect from a Heron. He stayed until January and then I think he was seen boarding a Jet Blue plane to Florida.

Dave
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:26 PM   #9

Sorry dave , my mistake [can't read my own bird book] looks like a single wing is 630mm:?:?:?

Thanks for the info:-)
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:04 PM   #10
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Sorry dave , my mistake [can't read my own bird book] looks like a single wing is 630mm:?:?:?

Thanks for the info:-)
Man do I hate those single wing bird books. I got facinated with ducks and writing about ducks, so I went out and bought a technical book on these guys, and every "wingspan" is given with a measurement of one wing. What do they expect from me? Mind you, they don't count the "middle" of the duck here. One wing x 2, does not a wingspan make.

So I can rattle off all sorts of stats about ducks, average weight of males, females, mortality, etc - but then if I want to know how large the wing-span is I have to go to a field guide!

Dave