Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:30 PM   #11

Quote:
You are not only taking photos, you are taking moments

Thanks Norm, bobbyz and Houston -

Norm, last year I had the FZ10 with me at the KNP, my first real outingwith a camera and took plenty of shots(+ - 5000), however it was then that I realised that to shoot wildlife, SLR is the way to go. Althoughthe FZ10 has the length [sort of], there's no AF speed, so most if not all my shots were stationary stuff.I know you were able to do some great action shots with the FZ10, but then you're not norm(al).

Anyway, this year I endeavoured to get some action shots, or at least, "expressions", and I must say that the 20D/100-400 works well on a hobbyist level - My only issue is that although the camera worked well, I most often lost my cool head, and then lost the shot(s). Nevertheless, there are some pics that I am happy with, and perhaps more importantly, I have gained some experience.

EG : I particularly bought a 420ex Speedlight to use when necessary, ESPECIALLYIF encountering a leopard [a rare thing] in the shade of a large tree, where natural light is not enough to get a decent shot - so, our last day, on the way out, we came across... yes, youguessed it, a leopard in the shade of a tree, quite close, MANY shooting opportunities, BUT IN THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT, I FORGOT TO USE MY FLASH WHICH WAS SITTING IN THE BAG ON MY BACK SEAT !!!!!! So, I have lots of leopard shots which are almost useless, apart from memories.... all put down to experience once I got over it and decided I would speak to myself again.

Houston,glad you're safe from the wind,I see it has been downgraded to a tropical storm now. [You could have been taking shots of Alligators in your back yard :G:G]

[I suppose not so funny for those in New Orleans where the situation is real]

Cheers from SA [Hot and DRY at the moment]

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:29 PM   #12
DBB

I missed this post of yours. Spectacular shots indeed.

And that DOES look exactly like our Great Egret. Do they live there? Wait, wait, I will check THE BOOK.

Nope, the book mentions nothing about Great Egrets being in Africa. Our Cattle Egret, is actually an African bird, that moved to South America, and then gradually spread to here. This occured quite recently, 1943.

Wonderful pictures Jake! I'll think about something bad to say in a week or two...:?:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:42 PM   #13

Hey...I finally found your image of the egret standing on hippos head!!! How adorable!! :-)I've been busy going through all your images posted at this forum. Wow...you've got some awesome images goin' on!!! How lucky to be living with such wonderful and amazing creatures!!! Thanks for sharing your images...I had much fun going through them all. :-D
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:08 PM   #14

Thanks Dave and Stitch, glad you foundmy egret on a hippo. We actually came across a number of similar "fishing"expeditions of herons sitting on hippos heads, quite amazing [I seem to remember a cartoon characterof a turtle that used to be flown about by his ownpersonal bird ??- And yes Dave, it is a great egret, and thanks for the nasty words in advance:lol::lol:
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:24 AM   #15

Good morning Jake, I love that Hyena shot, looks like he is about to eat, or he is really hungry. The other shots are brilliant too.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:58 AM   #16

Quote:
I love that Hyena shot, looks like he is about to eat, or he is really hungry
Hi John, he was actually drinking at a water-hole. I cropped the water-hole out for two reasons, one - it was one of those man-made water holes [flat concrete mini-dams] that they have installed due to drought conditions, and I don't like non-natural stuff in wildlife pics, secondly it does accentuate the main feature which is his face and eyes, with the water dripping from his mouth [drooling]

Thanks for the comments !! [You need to get out to Addo sometime !!]
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:37 AM   #17

"[You need to get out to Addo sometime !!]"

Actually I'm off to a park next weekend - its a private reserve and you can't ake your car, but hopefully I'll get some nice pics. A guy in our club has been contracted to photograph 18 of the parks in EC and he reckons Dwesa in the Transkei is one of the best. All the animals plus the backdrop of the sea.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:30 PM   #18

Beautiful photos. The elephants are especially good.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:17 AM   #19

Pretty good, Jake! Well done!
zolbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:53 AM   #20

Thanks. zol and ladyhawk, I appreciate the comments very much !!