Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:46 PM   #1
DBB

My White Balance dog (patent pending) and I found ourselves standing between two Great Blue Herons. An enviable position. The dog, unable to proform his normal task of distracting the pray, froze, while I stood in place, switiching from one bird to the next.

This first shot is of a bird who, as this series will show was having a "bad (very bad) hair day."

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO1.JPG[/img]

This is the second bird, and one of the most handsome Herons I've met. He's the same bird slandered in the "take off series," and in these shots you can see just how good looking he is.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO2.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO3.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO4.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO7.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO5.JPG[/img]

And as you can see in this last shot, I do not exagerate about this guy needing to spend some time with a feather expert.

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/BLUTWO6.JPG[/img]

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:52 PM   #2

No doubt about it the bragging rights are yours for today. These are spectacular captures. I wonder what has or is happening to that poor bird. I have a shot from sometime back of a Bluejay that looked just about like that.....Anyhow, great work on this series.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:26 PM   #3

These are great shots! I really like the classic shot of #3. That is a beautiful bird!.....I feel sorry for that poor other fellow. He looks rather sickly.....You always take good pictures....Do you sit in a blind when you take these?.......Thanks for sharing;they are great! bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:45 AM   #4
DBB

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
These are great shots! I really like the classic shot of #3. That is a beautiful bird!.....I feel sorry for that poor other fellow. He looks rather sickly.....You always take good pictures....Do you sit in a blind when you take these?.......Thanks for sharing;they are great! bentleysmom
Thanks for the remarks. These are far better than I normally take...:lol:

As for a blind...

I walk around, accompanied by a 120 pound all white dog, who is kind enough to distract the birds from me. Normally when he see's me go into shooting mode, he see's what I'm looking at, and then angles off, starts to bounce around like a jumping bean, dig in the sand, play the clown.

The birds then ignore me and watch him. In this case, we couldn't do that. We turned a corner around some eel grass, and found one Heron to the right, and one to the left. Both of us froze, and I startd shooting. I wear very drab, dark colored clothing, make no sudden moves, and I sacrifice chickens to Baal...:lol:

The Handsome Heron, I had spoted about 3/4 a mile away and took some fine shots of him taking off. I immediately recognised him as the same bird. Perhaps he recognised me?

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote