Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:09 AM   #1

I heard a banging noise on my office window, so I went to investigate, and saw this bird on the window. I never had my camera, but it has returned everyday since and I've managed to get a few shots of it.

There are two species of Hoopoo(spelling?) where I live, a Wood Hoopoo and this one. It's about the same size of Jake and Dave's Ferel pigeon.
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:10 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:13 AM   #3

Btw - I'm happy with the sharpness and tone of the photos at their full size, but in the resized versions they same a bit soft and flat. Do you specifically edit the photos you post for the internet?
Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:13 AM   #4

And the moral of the story is: Always keep your camera in hand!!!

Good shots, John!
zolbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:06 AM   #5

Lovely shots of a very interesting bird. The pictures from other parts of this world are so interesting!

Thanks for sharing,

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:43 AM   #6
DBB

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:

Btw - I'm happy with the sharpness and tone of the photos at their full size, but in the resized versions they same a bit soft and flat. Do you specifically edit the photos you post for the internet?
Very nice indeed, and thanks for the accurate size descriptions...:lol:

If you shoot in Adobe 98, use the convert to profile to change them to sRGB, it will display better on the net.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave, the first thing that I thought when I captured this bird was, this is the size ofJake's Ferel pigeon.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:13 AM   #8

I agree with DBB. It is a known fact that if you edit in Adobe 98 and then display it using an sRGB program the image will look much flater... have less contrast. And you're images do look like they have less contrast than I'd like.

Resizing usually makes things sharper, but sharpening tools don't actually make things sharper, they increase contrast. So if you lost contrast in your conversion than that is why the images look less sharp.

When I saw the images I thought they looked a little flat as well.

Oh, and if you're using a Mac, the Mac web browser is one of the few browsers that actually reads and honors the color space flag in an image. So if you saved your images in Adobe 98, on a Mac it would actually try to use that color space when displaying it. On windows IE doesn't do that.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:43 PM   #9

Hey John !! Nice capture :- These are really pretty birds, and BTW, they are the red-billed wood hoopoe, the other brown/tan chaps are the African hoopoe, although these ones have now been changed to "Green Wood-Hoopoe"

I would boost the contrast AND saturation a tad. A trick I'm learning to use [where possible] is to use Unsharp mask, but not in the normal way, rather, set the amount quite low ie: 20, and the radius quite highish - maybe 30 or so, it sometimes adds a nice bit of life to the shot.

We spent the long weekend with your cousins, they did the Oribi Gorge "swing", a 330ft drop off the edge of a cliff, I have some pics which I'll post in the sports section when I get a gap.

If you don't mind, Iapplied what I mentioned above toone of the shots.
Attached Images

JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:03 AM   #10

Thanks Jake, I'm having real problems with the whole calibration issue of monitors. Seems the contrast is set to high on my home monitor, meaning that I don't increase the contrast of the image to much, leaving me with a flat image.

Btw - I bought that book, releasing the power of elements - it has some brilliant information, I can now almost do as much as I could in photoshop. Need to buy Spyder now.