Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

This shot was taken in low light and into a bush. These kinglets are one of the smallest birds in Alberta (less than three inches) and are hard to find. They are also very fast so it's difficult to get a focused shot.

//jim

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM.
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:39 AM   #2

cute little bird, reminds me of our weebills, they are tiny like that.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:14 AM   #3

I agree, they are very fast birds. I don't have many pictures of them, although they aren't exactly uncommon where I am. I almost went and purchased a 1D MkII in frustration one time... they kept moving so much that by the time I got the camera on them the AF didn't have the time to lock before it was gone.

They are nice looking birds, though, you did good to get this much of him in the frame.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I almost went and purchased a 1D MkII in frustration one time... they kept moving so much that by the time I got the camera on them the AF didn't have the time to lock before it was gone.
Hmm, I can identify with those sentiments. I've experienced that situation way too many times!

As far as this kinglet goes Jim... you were really able to catch a great glimpse of the yellow crown which isn't always as visible as we see it here. Unfortunately, you also had a lot of branches between you and the bird but that is certainly understandable given how difficult it is to get a decent shot of these guys anyways. Keep trying for a clear shot of them - they're worth it!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:00 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your compliments and recognizing that these little guys are tough to get a photo of. I've had lots of opportunities but they are too quick. It has also been very windy lately and that doesn't help!

//jim
killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:54 PM   #6

Great shot! I just love these little guys. We have a lot of ruby crowned kinglets around here, and the only way I can ID one is by the way they are always moving and hoping around from one place to the next.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote