Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1

I've been struggling with a catastrophic hard disk corruption on both my original and backup hard disk. Eric is not a happy man right over the last 2 weeks. Between trying to recover my pictures (I originally lost over 9 thousand pictures) and heavy rains for the last week I haven't gotten out much. But when a friend called to say he found this black crowned night heron, I just had to get out and see it. I'd been stuck recovering lost bits for just too long:

The second is a closeup of the first. It was really overcast (maybe even raining at the time) so I was very happy that I could get something that sharp. My shutter speed was very low.

Camera:
20D 600mm f4 1/100 f/8 tripod ISO 200
PhotoShop:
RAW convert, crop, contrast, reduce, localized contrast, sharpen
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2

Hey, Eric, good to see you posting again! I hope you're getting a handle on those hard disk problems. Did the recovery programs get you back everything? (fingers crossed)

This is so sweet. It was taken with the 600mm I see. How much of a crop from the original is this posted image? The red of the eye and the green-yellow of the legs and bill are such great contrasts to the otherwise drab immature plumage!

One thing I noticed is that you do the LCE (local contrast enhancement) after reducing to web size. I've always done that as part of my regular processing. The only thing that I do on my web-posted images is sharpening and color profile conversion. Just wondering what your reasoning is...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

I was unable to recover any more images beyond what the built-in scandisk/checkdisk did (which was a lot, actually.) I ran several disk recovery packages but none found more than one or two files (and neither were images.) But I was able to find a copy on a disk that I had turned off that had everything up to the middle of last year. So I used that has a starting point. I don't know how much I lost, but I don't think it was a lot.

It is almost no crop at all. I only shaved a bit off the top and bottom (a bit more off the top.) I just wish I had been able to get a lower angle on this guy, but I couldn't. I was standing on a wooden platform (for looking at the river & waterfall which was just to the right of the shot) and I couldn't get to the water level.

I normally do the localized contrast before reducing, but I was in a bit of a rush when I did this editing. I'm still not sure if I sharpened it too much. There is only the faintest of halos in a few places, but the bird seems a bit too light to me. Could just be bad memory (and this is right), as I took this last weekend but still... from an artistic point of view it seems a little flat.

I do love that eye as well... that is what got me to do the second image.

Eric

ps. I actually come to the site several times a day, I just haven't been posting pictures. I'm hoping with the images recovered I'll go back and post some that I haven't had time to do yet.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:38 AM   #4

Really nice shots, hope you sort the problem out.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

Eric, I don't notice the haloing, seems like a pretty good sharpening job to me. Did you use the PSCS2 Smart Sharpen for this? I've been using that lately and I think I'm getting used to how it does its sharpening which is a bit different from normal USM.

Also, I saw someone post an extreme closeup of a heron's eye once up on NSN and the patterns in the eye are really mesmerizing. It's something I couldn't do it with my shorter lens but with your 600 you should be able to get an extreme closeup. It'd be interesting to see one here.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:49 AM   #6
DBB

This one looks barely fledged - which is to say actually "cute." A word I rarely use for them.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7

The closeup is actually slightly reduced as well. I often do that as it helps mask noise (which there is little of any ways at 200ISO.) But you can see the reflection of the wooden platform in his eye. You can't really see me, though.

Now that you mention it, I did have an opportunity to get a really, really close shot of an immature BCNH. There is a national wildlife refuge north of me that once had one just sitting along the side of the road on a tidal flat. I got within about... 15-20 feet, with easy shooting from a car. I have the pictures, but I didn't have the 600 at the time. And I don't think the sun was at a good angle. But that is an interesting challenge!

I'd be surprised if this was very recently fledged, but it is possible. Unless you mean last month, or more. Then again, maybe it got a second brood? That would be really nice, as I'd like to have more BCNHs around. I love'm.

Eric
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:18 AM   #8

I love BCNHs too. But I especially love YCNHs ever since I discovered a small rookery of them behind the campus at SUNY @ Stony Brook when I was attending school there (too many years ago :roll.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:37 PM   #9

We almost never get YCNH's where I live. I spend an entire afternoon chasing one that had been spotting roosting in this really small patch of conservation land one time. Less than an acre. Never saw him, but I saw my first black throated blue's and many other warblers, so it wasn't a waste.

But I'd love to see them, they look great.

Eric
Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:40 PM   #10
DBB

eric s wrote:
Quote:
We almost never get YCNH's where I live. I spend an entire afternoon chasing one that had been spotting roosting in this really small patch of conservation land one time. Less than an acre. Never saw him, but I saw my first black throated blue's and many other warblers, so it wasn't a waste.

But I'd love to see them, they look great.

Eric
Hi Eric

They like marine marsh's....

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote