Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
DBB

The Northern Harrier, my preferred name being the Marsh Hawk, winters in Brooklyn. In this series I caught her patrolling my favorite marine Marsh, flying from one end to the other and back. This marsh, is a tidal pond, 3/4 of a mile long. It's an inland lake at high tide, and a swamp with scatered pool mixed with dry land at low.

There are quite a few boats washed up in the pond, and those are the objects that she is passing. In these first shots, she is heading East, starting about midway through the marsh. It's high tide...

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK1.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK3.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK8.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK11.JPG[/img]

In this picture below, she's turning to come back, and I cleverly used a "green filter" of eel grass to add some blur to the image...:lol:

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK13.JPG[/img]

Now she's heading back, a bit closer to me, although never closer than 75 yards, but she's flying lower and on the last picture was actually cutting through the swamp grass.

Death on wings...

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK15.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK16.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/MHHAWK17.JPG[/img]

This is a peculiar Hawk, often hunting just feet from the ground, often looking much like an owl. Norm has put some much better pictures on the board, but I was happy to be able to take this series. The marine pond is a long oval, surrounded on both sides by sand dunes, and in this case I was perched on on of the dunes on the Southern side of the marsh.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links