Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:19 AM   #11

Hey Bmullen... do you mind if I play with your 4th photo? Just seems like we could get even more out of that one. I wanted to make sure you don't mind if I take it and mess with it before I do anything. Sometimes I just see a lot of potential in a pic and I get the urge to work on it a bit. I learn from doing so too. Just let me know.
gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:48 AM   #12

That's fine, Gracie. Just let me know what you did if you can make it look a lot better so I can learn. I darkened it some today andI think that helped some. Thanks.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:10 AM   #13

Here goes... I didn't write down specific numbers when I played, but here's the general info. First I ran a USM... something like 80/0.5/0 (I think). Then I ran a High Pass Filter and slightly moved right and left sliders in levels which just sharpens edges without creating as much noise as the USM. Then I darkened highlights and went into levels and brought in a tiny bit of blue. Might have made a few more tiny adjustments in levels, but I don't recall details.Not sure what programyou use, but this was all done in PS Elements 3.Oh... and since my adjustments did create asmall amount of noise, I ran it throughNeatImage to take that away. If you need anyfurther explanation, just let me know and I'll do my best. I'm sure it's still not perfect, but I think it brought out some more detail. Might workeven better if you coulddo a similar process with the original instead of one that's already been worked on. By the way, I went ahead and played with the first one too. It's already so good... just did a little different crop to take away so much empty space on both sides and barely did a littlemore sharpening via the methods mentioned above. Here they are.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:15 AM   #14

Now that I see them on here, theymight be a bit overdone... but you can see that there's a lot more detail in your pic that can be brought out. It's a great pic... with lots of detailhiding just beneath the surface.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:38 PM   #15

I like your crop of the first one. To me, the fourth is a bit over-sharpened. When I post my pics here all I do to them is resize. You can see all that detail on my computer of the full size file of the one I resized. It shows much more detail than the resized version. I use Elements three and usually crop, adjust levels, noise removal ( I often shoot at iso 800), sharpen slightly if needed, and often add some contrast since I have it turned down low in my camera settings.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:51 PM   #16

Yes, it did appear a bit over-sharpened on here, although it didn't seem quite that obviouswhile in the PS program. I don't normally have anoticibledifference inpic quality after resizing, so it didn't occur to me that your originals would have that much detail included. I suppose I sharpen more than most... I've read that Minolta's 7D tends toproduce a bit softer pics than the Nikon or Canon. Personally, I like for the detail to POP... almost like 3D. Glad to know your originals portray the detailed beauty of the shots you captured.