Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 12, 2005, 1:33 PM   #1

This was also taken last spring. I'm anxious to get back out there since I've purchased a blind for shooting birds. Hopefully, I'll be able to do even better than last spring. Unfortunately, my camera is in the local shop for a CCD cleaning and they seem to be a bit on the slow side at completing the job.

gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 1:33 PM   #2

Was it really THAT BAD? 19 views and not a single comment?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

Gracie:

I guess there aren't that many sparrow lovers out there. But I'm a big fan of these little birds. And you have a very nice capture, clean lines, a good contrast between the color of the bird and the background and good DOF.

cheers,

jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:11 PM   #4
KEM

Didn't see it on the first round.
Love that green backdrop, really makes the Sparrow stand out. How close were you?
-Kent
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 3:21 PM   #5

In my opinion, gracie, ANY wildlife is worth looking at and enjoying, including sparrows. The pic "seems" a bit harsh ?? might be the flash thats made the contrast a bit high, otherwise avery nice picture of a beautiful bird - It's amazing how we will chase a nondescript looking creature for 100 kms because it's "rare", but neglect the common species, even though they're stunning :?
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:15 PM   #6

Very nice, Gracie.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 9:54 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how far I was as it was several months ago. I was usually set up approximately 10 feet away. I hope to get closer by using my blind this year.

BTW, anyone interested.... I purchased the perfect blind for nature photography... just big enough for me, a stool, my tripod, and of course camera to fit comfortably inside. I found it at Walmart for $50! It was just a hunters blind. Itforms a 68" square bottom and stands 78" tall in the center if I recall thenumbers correctly... if I'm off, it's notby much. That was way cheaper than theREAL photography blinds and even cheaper thanthe other hunting blinds I've seen. It was calledan 'Outhouse Blind'. Now, I've just got to get my camera back and get out there andput the blind to good use!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:13 PM   #8

Hellow Gracie. I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to respondingto your post here before now. But it is a very nicely thought out photo with a wonderful background. I agree with Jake not only on it being a little harsh but on all the nice things he said about it. I also wanted to let you know that I have one of those Outhouse blinds like you have. Purchased mine on the internet. Pretty neat little thing and it took me quite a while to get it folded back up the first time I popped it open. :lol: You'll have to get you one of those sensor cleaning kits and try cleaning your camera sensor yourself. Its not that hard and will probably save you money in the long run and you wont be without the camera for so long. Oh and we have lots of those Chipping Sparrows around here also.

Houston
Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:04 AM   #9

Thanks Houston. Yes, it was quite a challenge to fold the blind back up into that little circle. Reminded me of my makeshift 'reflectors'... aka automobile sun shades... only the sun shades are easier to fold because they are smaller... but the same sort of principle. I've actually re-folded the blind twice now, but I still don't really have a pattern or even really know how I do it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm definitely going to pick my camera up tomorrow whether it's done or not. I'll do it myself if it's not. I've done quite a bit of research on it so I feel confident I can do it. I put my feeders out today and now that colder weather is approaching and the birds will return to the feeders, I'm getting anxious to get out there again with the new blind.