Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:50 PM   #1
RDV

Can't seem to get the detail that I could get with an FZ20. Using a Nikon D70s with a Sigma 100-300 f/4 lens. This is my attempt to process this photo but they all seem flat out of the camera and at eight feet away I can't get the detail. Any suggestions please.

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2
KEM

I also have a D70s and get similar results. Its all about post processing....
I used the supplied PictureProject software to enhance dark tones and apply D-lighting then sharpened it. If you have Photshop you can do much better...
Attached Images

KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:59 PM   #3

It could be the lens, too. I went from a FZ 20 to Rebel XT and while using a 300mm lens I wasn't getting shots as sharp as I did with my FZ at close range either. I got a 200-500 lens, and now I am getting much more detail and sharpness than I could with my FZ 20. It cost me, though. I also found a technique in the blind I shoot from that allows me to stabilize the camera pretty good, too. Remember with the FZ you had image stabilization, too. Also, I am using flash (stopped down at least one stop) to help make up for the lack of in camera stabilization, too.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:32 AM   #4
RDV

Thanks KEM...I had bumped this pic to this point and thought it was a little harsh.

Bob...I remember you post with the FZ20 were nice and then I saw your male house finch post that was outstanding. I still have a few days that I can return this lens and may do that if I dont get better results. What f stop is your 200-500mm lens. thanks for the replies.

Ron

RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5
DBB

One other possibility, is that if you are shooting JPEG, you might have too heavy a noise reduction setting.

You might want to check out review sites of these lenses before you decide what to get if you return this one.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote