Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1

I have some sorry pics this time, I was shook up and mad, but I have a little story to tell about them......Today I stopped at a little lake I had never been to before and walked down to the edge thru the trees and was watching some ducks and Common Snipe when out of the wild blue yonder here comes about a dozen Great Egrets. They flew almost directly above me back and forth, up and donw etc for a good 2 or 3 minutes before they all landed in the pine trees on the far side. I shot about a hundred pics while they were flying and then I looked down at my cameral and it was on shutter priority..... I let out a yell tdhat Jake in South Africa could probably have heard. I discarded all of them and sat down and waited for them to fly again. After about 30 minutes one of them flew almost straight down to the water and started fishing. Didn't take long before he had a small one and started flying back up to the pine tree tops. Notice in the first pic the position of the one on the bottom right. I thought he was going to give the fish to him but he didn't and landed just above him. This was too far away to have any decent pics but here they are.

Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2

He has the little fish and has started back up to the tree tops.

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:27 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5

This is where I thougt he was going to give his fish away.

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6

The landing

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:01 PM   #7
DBB

Let me say that these are ALL wonderful shots. But number one can be entered in some sort of contest - really - landscape, wildlife, abstract - you name it, this picture is a winner!

I love it - the dark greens and the whites (but not blown whites) are amazing with that blue sky. Maybe you might want to darken the sky a hair? *I have no idea if that would work - and the image doesn't need it anyway) :roll:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 1:55 PM   #8

Quote:
But number one can be entered in some sort of contest
Agreed, Houston, outstanding pic - I notice that a lot of Wildlife Pro's tend to get more of the habitat/ surroundings than we/I tend to. I know I have focussed:roll:more on close-up detail, which I suppose has it's place, but I think it's more of a challenge to get the bird/animal with good detail, as well as a good background with good lighting and all the other aspects which make for a good photo.

Quote:
Ilet out a yell tdhat Jake in South Africa could probably have heard
I actually thought it thundered, but this explains the strange atmospherics:lol:

Do you know, Houston, that the 20D is default set to take shots without the CF card, and some guys have been caught taking "fantastic" shots, only to discover that they were shooting blanks. Check your settings to make sure your is set to NOT shooting without the CF
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:40 PM   #9
DBB

JakeTPegg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
But number one can be entered in some sort of contest
Agreed, Houston, outstanding pic - I notice that a lot of Wildlife Pro's tend to get more of the habitat/ surroundings than we/I tend to. I know I have focussed:roll: more on close-up detail, which I suppose has it's place, but I think it's more of a challenge to get the bird/animal with good detail, as well as a good background with good lighting and all the other aspects which make for a good photo.

Quote:
I let out a yell tdhat Jake in South Africa could probably have heard
I actually thought it thundered, but this explains the strange atmospherics :lol:

Do you know, Houston, that the 20D is default set to take shots without the CF card, and some guys have been caught taking "fantastic" shots, only to discover that they were shooting blanks. Check your settings to make sure your is set to NOT shooting without the CF
If you heard Houston, then you must have heard repeated screams of rage from me from time to time...

I also was posting what I call "Birdscapes."

Part of the problem is that in this small format, the detail in my Birdscapes is lost. Houston outdid himself on this one - man that's a nice picture!!!!!!!!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:24 PM   #10

Dave and Jake, I really appreciate your nice comments on #1. I thought it was pretty good myself but I only posted it show what I was trying to tell about the incedent. The others were just pure junk as far as I was concerned. What happened that day was before I went out there I took a few pictures of a person outside and had the 420 Flash mounted and was shooting on Shutter priority with 1/250 th shutter speed. I just forgot about doing that and all of those flight shots were nothing more than blurred white spots in the sky.:XOh was I mad. I have done that before but not when I had such a good opportunity to get some real good flight shots. Oh Well.........

Cheers

Houston