Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1

Thought I'd share these here.Butterflies seem to be one of my 'summer' photography obsessions. These were taken two or three months ago. I don'thave a macro lensyet, so these were actually taken with a 300mm zoom kit lens.First is the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

And another view.

Here's a Zebra Swallowtail.

And another view of the same.

gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2
djb

Very nice!!! beautiful butterflies with nice backgrounds and compostion!!!! good work.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:19 PM   #3

Thanks! The Zebras are not as common here, so I was really glad to catch that one.They don't tend to linger like the Tigers.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:10 AM   #4

Nicely done. I'm a fan of butterflies, but I always seem to be busy shooting other things when the high point of butterfly season comes here.

The focus seems a little bit off on the second one, but they are all really nicely done.
Great backgrounds, good color, and lovely subjects.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:18 AM   #5

Those are beautiful shots, Gracie.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:45 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. If I recall correctly, I took these with a Sigma lens which I had ordered and later returned due to some problems functioning on the camera. Pics with this lens were always much softer than even my kit lenses, but I still managed a few decent ones while I had it.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:24 AM   #7

eric s wrote:
Quote:
The focus seems a little bit off on the second one, but they are all really nicely done.
Great backgrounds, good color, and lovely subjects.

Eric
Shame on you - helpful pointers are no longer allowed outside of the critique forum. Please refrain from trying to help others outside that forum :blah:

Great photos by the way - love the colors in #1
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:15 AM   #8

:lolon't worry, I won't report anyone. I really do appreciate all comments... both positive and negative. Afterall, that's how I've learned what I have so far. I can choose to read the comments and take it or leave it. Maybe I don't feel Ihave a pic good enough to withstand a full screening critique where the photo is entirely picked apart in the other category... but I guess you could say I do prefer to get the 'milder' critiques that I do gethere. And one day, I hope to feel confident enough to toss one in over there and say 'go for it'.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:08 AM   #9
DBB

gracie328 wrote:
Quote:
:lol: Don't worry, I won't report anyone. I really do appreciate all comments... both positive and negative. Afterall, that's how I've learned what I have so far. I can choose to read the comments and take it or leave it. Maybe I don't feel I have a pic good enough to withstand a full screening critique where the photo is entirely picked apart in the other category... but I guess you could say I do prefer to get the 'milder' critiques that I do get here. And one day, I hope to feel confident enough to toss one in over there and say 'go for it'.
Well, jokes aside, I appreciate critiques, even though my pictures are perfect:G

And I try to give them as well.

I liked your butterfly pictures. If you're really interested in this, let me recomend the Sigma 180 Macro. It's a prime, that you can use for both Macro and wildlife, and it has wonderful clarity. The 180 is a bit weak for serious wildlife photography, but it will work, and as a macro, it's SUPERB!

Dave

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this afairly new lens? I know a lot of the Sigmas have been known to have some performance issues with theMinolta 7D. I'll have to go see if I can find some consumer reviews.