Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:24 AM   #1
djb

Someone told me I could resize larger than the actual picture without much loss in detail and such. I decided to give it a try on some very small sized captures. I don't remember how much they were resized upwards. Not the greatest of shots but done for an experiment.

dennis

1. A sparrow. this was upsized by about 30%, I think.

Attached Images

djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:26 AM   #2
djb

2. A Screech Owl. This little one was a long way off in a wood duck box. I hope he decdecides to live there for the winter as when the swamp freezes thick enough I'll be able to walk out to get a ccloser shot. This isupsized about 40-50%

Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:29 AM   #3
DBB

I'm confused. These are small images, so you "downsized" them for the net. Is this correct?

Images can be upsized quite dramatically using "interpolation," as opposed to merely increasing the size. Different programs offer diffferent interpolation algorythms. Some work better than others.

A simple increase in size merely increases the size of if the individual points of color - whereas interpolation, looks at the adjoining colors and places new points of color, intermediary, between the two.

You can quadruple the size of an imnage without losing signifigant detail. You should do your editing, noise removal, sharpening, whatever BEFORE you apply interpolation.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:44 AM   #4
NHL

There was a post sometime back of some photographer upsizing a wall size ads from a Nikon Coolpix 990 camera... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:02 AM   #5
djb

Dave, I didn't downsize these pics. Following are 800x600 or 600x800 crops of the fullsized image. No downsizing. I used autolevels and smart sharpening on both. The first is the sparrow. As I said, full frame image and cut out a 600x800 section. You can see the difference in size. I would say about 30% maybe a bit ess.

Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:05 AM   #6
djb

Dave, this one is the owl. Again full sized image and cut out a 800x600 section. You can see the difference. And autolevels and smart sharpening were used.

edit: Oh, the 1st owl pic is a tighter crop but quite a bit larger than this.

Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:32 PM   #7

I love the second version of the sparrow... much clearer and less noise. Good job.
gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote