Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Wildlife Photos

Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1
DBB

These images were taken last week when the temperature in the City was 15, and probably a heck of a lot colder out on the windy, windy beach. What are these birds doing here?

They were so cold, they were huddled out on the tarmac of the abandoned Floyd Bennet airfield - trying to absorb heat.

To give you an idea how cold it was, I spotted them and was so anxious to shoot, that I left my gloves and hat in the car. Within three minutes my hands were so cold that I actually did not have the strength to push the shutter. I was standing there and pushing just couldn't do it.

What are these birds eating? My old, old 1930's book talks about how late the Treee Swallows will stay North. "You mnight find them as late as the first of November, still North, before they migrate South."

Man have times changed!

To make matters more interesting, YESTERDAY, I saw these guys again! This time flying around, for all the world, looking as if there were still flies to be caught!

Dave

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/TSWAL1.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/TSWAL2.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/TSWAL3.JPG[/img]

[img]www.davidbarkinphotography.com/Temp/TSWAL4.JPG[/img]
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:46 PM   #2

Do they know something we don't?
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:03 PM   #3

BRRR! I'm freezing after only READING your post. You need to send those poor guys down my way. I'm freezing my butt off here too (I'm not a cold weather person), but I'm sure it's warmer than up there. It's 27 degrees here right now at 10:00 p.m at night and I'm sure will might get close to 20 before morning.It's cool how they fluff up those feathers to stay warm!
gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:34 AM   #4
DBB

My lens is far too powerful to show the whole scene (Swarovski, 1100mm Scope) but there were hunbdreds of these Swalllows, appearing to literally "clutch" the tarmac.

I needn't have worried about scaring them - they didn't WANT to move. I actually thought they were going to freeze to death. I was very relieved to see them flying around a few days later when the termperature was much warmer - at least 20. :sad:

The giant bird book, from the thirties states that they ceace catching flying insects and simply peel them from bark.

Definitley Global warming is altering things. Those of us who spend each day out here see the results - And yet this promises to be a cold winter.

The pictures would have been better, but I do believe I was shaking a bit...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote